Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I opened the RAM port the other day as i seen some dust hanging out of it when i was cleaning my screen and it was full of dust. This is making me wonder how bad inside the computer is. Ive had it 2 years now and i used to clean my PC out every 2 month or so but obviously the iMac is not as accessable as the PC was. What is the best way to clean the dust out? I thought about getting a can of air and spraying it down the vent along the top, i thought i would ask before doing it though.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
The compressed air is probably fine.

I shut my iMac off and then vacuum the snot out off all the vents (the bottom, back, and top).

I'm more comfortable sucking the dust out of the vent instead of blowing it around (to avoid the possibility of getting any in the screen area).

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Another option is to open it up and spray it clean.

I would like to open it but its under apple care for another year so dont want to open it, if i were to open it i would be tempted to mess with things hahaha

The compressed air is probably fine.

I shut my iMac off and then vacuum the snot out off all the vents (the bottom, back, and top).

I'm more comfortable sucking the dust out of the vent instead of blowing it around (to avoid the possibility of getting any in the screen area).

i might do a mixture of the two, use the air to move the dust and use the vac at the fan to suck it out so i dont just blow it around.

just be sure not to turn the can upside down when spraying

ive done that before when cleaning a board, it doesnt go well... lol

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I would like to open it but its under apple care for another year so dont want to open it, if i were to open it i would be tempted to mess with things hahaha

i might do a mixture of the two, use the air to move the dust and use the vac at the fan to suck it out so i dont just blow it around.

ive done that before when cleaning a board, it doesnt go well... lol

You can always run the apple hardware test. It will put the fans on high and send a lot of dust flying out.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've always fought shy of compressed air, but I'm damn sure my iMac needs a clean...The air option seems the best, my iMac is on 24/7 so there has got to be dust in there. Last time I opened the RAM compartment was to upgrade to 16GB....nearly a year ago.

Guess I'll buy some compressed air and give this a try.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
You can always run the apple hardware test. It will put the fans on high and send a lot of dust flying out.

That's just it, the fans seem to run up very high a lot now, they have never done that in the past and that's what made me think it's time to clean out lol

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I use Asda for home shopping..will add a couple of cans to the next shop:)

Yeah same here, i bought some from amazon before and then said OMG when i realised it was readily available and cheaper at Asda lol.

Let me know how it goes please, i should get round to doing mine today as it needs a good bit of TLC.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Yeah same here, i bought some from amazon before and then said OMG when i realised it was readily available and cheaper at Asda lol.

Let me know how it goes please, i should get round to doing mine today as it needs a good bit of TLC.

Will do...If it's been running pretty much 24 / 7 for show long, I expect to be covered in dust!:)

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I made that mistake I froze my g4s cpu I had to borrow my moms hairdryer to thaw it out. And a industrial fan to air out the room.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

This! ^^^^^

Air is pulled in from the bottom and flows out of the top.

Vacuum from the bottom would be the best way aside from disassembly and really cleaning it out.

----------

It smells sort of like pepper spray mixed with ass.

Don't wanna know how you know what that smells like! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.