Cleaning the giant glossy displays

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
What do you think it's the best way? Plain old water and microfiber cloth or using one of those iKlear cleaning solutions?

jonwd7

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
I was a paperboy and had blackened hands every single day, so I've never really understood what people talk about when they say to use newspaper to clean things... :rolleyes:

I understand there may be types of acceptable paper but I'd rather just use the cloth they provide. And Windex for prints/stains.

Shawnstra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Singapore
I decided to go with some iKlear. I will just use a cloth to wipe it down daily, maybe with some water every other day, and only use the iKlear once a week or so.

Thanks for the help!

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
Never dog on a good ol piece of newspaper. Check out mecum. You'll see half of those guys with the hotttest water they can stand and a piece of newspaper. doesn't scratch, streak or leave lent.

snowbound57

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2009
I used iKlear on my led screen and it made a streaky mess of it. No matter how much i buffed it, it wouldn't come out. I then used Monster ScreenClean and it cleaned everything up.

Personally, i won't be using iKlear again.

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
I used iKlear on my led screen and it made a streaky mess of it. No matter how much i buffed it, it wouldn't come out. I then used Monster ScreenClean and it cleaned everything up.

Personally, i won't be using iKlear again.
Considering it is glass, I don't understand why anyone would use anything but Windex (or similar)

frenchie0101

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2009
i also use this method for my tv and it works ace.. get some distilled water and also kitchen cloth (damp, never dry) using this method i have never seen nothing but a complete clear screen

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
+1 for monster screen clean.

I generally dislike Monster as a company (overpriced, lying to consumers by setting up fraudulent cable comparison displays back when I worked at Circuit City years ago, etc) but their screen clean does do a great job.

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
No "cleaner" needed

I have had my iMac glossy screen for over two years now. All I have ever used to clean the screen is the little piece of black cloth that Apple provides with every new 'puter. Works great and it's included in the original purchase price. I have never sprayed anything onto the screen.

Rich :cool:

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Another vote for Monster Screenclean. I use it on all my lcd screens
including my 40" Sony.

NEVER use something like Windex with ammonia in it. It has the potential
to yellow the lcd screen after a chemical reaction takes place. Most lcd's are not covered with glasss (including most glossy screens).

bjobes

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Being that's its glass try using a glass polish. It makes the surface super smooth and repels dust too.

rgarjr

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Wondering if anyone used a can of Stoner Glass Cleaner? The one that is made for car windows. Of course you can't directly spray it on since it's foam.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
I always blow off any dust or debris with a Giottos Rocket Blower and then clean it with a water-dampened microfiber cloth. Works great every time!

Bryan