Cleaning the inner LCD on an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bill Av, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bill Av macrumors member

I have a 27" iMac that fell under the 1TB drive recall. I took it in and had the drive replaced. However, there were fingerprints and palmprints all over the screen. After trying to get them off, I realized that most are on the other side of the glass AND on the actual LCD inside, as well as a bit of dust. Before I buy a suction cup to remove the glass, is it possible to clean the actual LCD with a liquid, or will it damage the LCD?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would use a lint-free cloth, like the ones that come with flat panel TV's, iDevices and such to clean it. I just cleaned a fingerprint from the LED/LCD screen on my iMac after I removed the glass and saw one there from an Apple Store tech.

3. erikjorg macrumors newbie

Don't risk it

Why not just contact Apple as they are responsible and will fix it under warrantee.
    I had my HD replaced under the same policy. Technician turned up at my place and replaced HD without a hitch.
    Whatever you do, don't try and clean the LCD as marks are very hard to get rid of without damaging. GOOD LUCK:)

4. Bill Av thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys. I decided to cheap out and use the suction cup on my car mount - it worked fine. I cleaned the inside of the glass, but left the LCD alone. I can see why it got a little dusty inside; I had it open and held a flashlight at the screen - the dust was just swarming to it.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

you can get sticky anti-static rollers to clean off the dust. ebay has them for relatively cheap and maybe some local hardware stores.

6. jpdemers macrumors newbie

Late to the conversation, but for those who find this in a search, there are polyester cloths called "Optiwipes" that you can get from Amazon, which have an affinity for the oils that fingerprints are made of. They're made for camera lenses but work great on the LCD screen. Just be sure to use a fresh surface, and - unless you're wearing gloves - don't flip the wipes after using one side.