Cleaning the inside of a Macbook display...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dubdubdub, Nov 18, 2007.

1. dubdubdub macrumors newbie

Hey guys, long time lurker, and long time Mac user. Great forums here.

So I have a 13" Macbook, with the gloss LCD. It seems that there is a few pieces of hair stuck *inside* the monitor. This has happened before with a Powerbook I owned.

I keep my laptops clean and well maintained, but thanks to owning dogs and cats it's near impossible to keep hair off of things.

My argument to Apple is that this is a manufacturing flaw - as the screen should be sealed so as not to allow debris as large as animal hair inside of it. Apple told me there is nothing they can do, and suggest I take it to a local computer store for cleaning.

Anyone have experience with this/taking LCDs apart?

Thanks in advance for any insight :)

2. hoint macrumors newbie

Hoping for a reply on this one...

My brother spilled coffee on his closed macbook. Everything still works, but there is a brown line where it dripped down inside the lcd screen. it seems like it would be an easy fix. is this a do-it-yourself project or should i advise him to take it to an apple store? anyone have an idea about what they would charge for something like that (warranty is long expired).

3. tedhogan macrumors member

I too am looking for an answer to this as I have a coffee stain on the inside of my display as well. PowerbookMedic.com told me that I would probably need a new LCD (they sell for $350). I find that hard to believe. If that's true, that really sucks. It's such a small thing, just a stain.

Please, if anyone has any experience with this please respond.

Thanks,
    Ted

4. KSpider macrumors regular

Is the computer under warranty?

EDIT- oops. i now see the OP posted this a year ago... nevermind...

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If Apple can not clean it or fix it they should replace it.

I suggest you start making a VERY loud fuss at the genius bar when the store is full of paying customers.

*EDIT* I thought this was a new post as well.