Cleaning the macbook pro casing (not the screen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by queshy, Nov 6, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Would you just use a damp microfiber cloth to clean the aluminum casing? There are threads on this, but only on cleaning the screen. I get the feeling after using it at school all day, touching the desks, door knobs, and then touching the mbp gets it kind of germ-filled. Would you use a dilute mixture of alcohol/water, or just water?

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Every so often I very lightly dampen one side of a microfiber cloth with water and wipe down the unit, avoiding any of the crevices. I then use the dry side to wipe it down again and dry any moisture. Seems to work pretty well, and I don't see threat of any potential damage.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Cool, thanks.

Water doesn't really "kill" the germs though. Maybe I'll try some bleach...:p

4. motownflip macrumors regular

I bought Iklear from apple. Does a good job on the whole laptop, but I don't think it will do anything about germs.

5. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Don't clean the little sloping ridge between the bottom of the keyboard, and the palm rest ; because the layer of paint on mine is starting to wear off.

6. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

You can buy antibacterial hand wipes that might work. They are damp so shouldn't be too risky, but you might get a bit of residue though that could be wiped off with microfiber. The keyboard will be the grubbiest place I should think!

7. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I would use Lysol or Clorox Wipes to kill the germs, followed by iKlear + microfiber cloth to get rid of the residue from the wipes.

8. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

Isopropyl Alcohol ftw! I've used that both on my screen and casing and it's worked wonders, and it also kills germs. I still have a bottle that I bought about 3 years ago, so the $2.99 investment was definitely worth it.

9. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

You should also be aware that alcohol has bactericidal properties in concentration between 50-70% :p

10. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

And the clorox wipes won't harm the casing?

Also, if I do maybe a 30g% rubbing alcohol (30 mL alcohol / 100 mL H2O) it would work? lol, at least I know I'm not the only one worried about this...

I actually have a bottle of TV screen cleaner - it smells like rotten eggs! (sulfur inside, I'm guessing) - the ingredients just say "water and polymers" - so vague! Do you think that would hurt it?

11. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

If you're going to use the Isopropyl Alcohol and you want to dilute it with water, make sure you dilute it with Distilled Water. Regular water has minerals in it and that can leave a residue behind.

12. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Nope..I've used them on my MBP a few times

13. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

I use two paper towels. First, I use one with a bit of Windex on it. Not soaked, but enough to clean some of the smudges and grime spots off.

Then I use one soaked in water, but wrung out pretty well and go over it all.

I then use a large microfiber cloth to remove the water streaks before they dry, leaving the case all nice and clean.

I do this about once a week... more often if I'm in places where the MBP comes in contact with more grime.