Cleaning the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptSaltyJack, Jul 23, 2008.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

I dislike aluminum for this very reason.. it shows dirt quite easily. Any suggestions on how to clean the palm rest area and the touchpad?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. team 79 krunch macrumors member

team 79 krunch

You should use a dry soft cloth, such as a optical quality cloth, you can also use this on the screen:cool:

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The MBP shows dirt??? You havent used a BlackBook...that thing shows EVERYTHING! But anyways, to clean the computer and such (including the screen and trackpad) I suggest buying iKlear. Its uses by Apple techs and I have been using it for years. Its safe to use all over the computer and its a good buy. Its a great buy and good thing to have...especially if you have a glossy screen.

5. Eric. macrumors regular

Remember to have the thing turned off with no power or battery and be sure that's its all dry before you turn it on! ;)

Remember not to use alcohol or acetone on the display. That'll dry it out or something from what I've read.

6. bov macrumors 6502

Really? I've found that it looks clean as well as amazing all the time! Unless you look at a certain angle, i suppose you can see some dust on it, but other than that, i love it! On the MacBook palm rests, you can see a lot more dirt and grime.

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

A simple wet paper towel does the trick for me (microfiber might be good for the screen tho)

8. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

I use iKlear solution. I have been using it for the past 2 years and my MBP still looks like it just came out of the retail box for the first time. :)

9. archi17 macrumors regular

A washing machine usually does the trick! Just kidding... I would recommend spraying some sort of cleaner onto a cloth and then wiping that over the MBP

10. Fabiano macrumors regular

Read the User's Manual and you will find the answer.

11. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

You really should invest in a Moshi Palmguard, I haven't seen dust or oil since I put it on, and it gives me a peace of mind from wear and tear. I love the trackpad sticker as well!

12. Fabiano macrumors regular

I know that the plastic finish of the Macbook dont last very long in the palm rest... but I wonder how long the aluminium finish of the pro resists, I think it doesnt wear out over time, right?

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I agree with the rubbing alcohol...

...but HIGHLY disagree with using ACETONE!

ACETONE is a SOLVENT and eats plastic! I know because in a former life (Plastics Manufacturing Company) we used it in our processing. Acetone is also used in Nail Polish remover and good for eating away SuperGlue if you happen to get it on your hands.

14. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I agree with all the posts recommending iKlear! I used it on my 12" PB and iPods. Now I use it on my BlackMac and iPhone. I also use it to clean the wife's MBP and iPhone. It works great and if you buy the large bottle, you can have years of clean Apples! :D

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I love using acetone... :rolleyes:

I mean it is aluminium.

16. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i havent had any issues cleaning the aluminum casing with a disinfecting wipe, i generally dry it out a bit so it does not leave much of the liquid residue and then use a microfibre cloth (lens, lcd, etc cloth) to dry it off

and iKlear is amazing for LCDs (and i guess some use it successfully as an entire cleaning solution :p which does work nicely)

17. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

iKlear iKlear iKlear.

i recommend just getting the value pack thing with the travel wipes, iKlear, and like 3 different cloths

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I use rubbing alcohol pads about once a week to keep my MacBook clean/less germy. I would think if the plastic of the MacBook can withstand it, the metal of the MBP could?

19. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

This might sound silly, but.. is the MBP really aluminum? It just doesn't feel like metal to me, feels like a more solid plastic. Same with the back of the 1st generation iPhone, everyone kept saying "oh wow, it's aluminum." It's not, it's faux aluminum.

20. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Its Aluminum...http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/design.html

21. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

OK let me pose a slightly different question :) Which parts of it are aluminum? I swear it's not 100%.. after all, that web page does say "encased" in aluminum. The bottom and top feel like it, but the palm rest area doesn't feel like metal to me. Maybe I'm on crack.

22. Herrow macrumors regular

Its Aluminum, wait to you get a nice dent or ding.

As far as cleaning goes...I have tried iKlear & Monster iClean and both left horrible streaks on the lcd and case. I think they are both polymer based.

Our IT Director gave us each a bottle of Shaggymac Optimist Prime. It cleans the lcd and the ALUMINUM case flawlessly. This prompted me to order one of their screen protectors for the MBP. We'll see when it arrives.

23. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I always thought that a damp papertowel workes fine. I've never bought any fancy cleaning stuff...

24. rising j macrumors member

I went with the iklear after all these posts. I'll let you guys know of my experiences with it!!

25. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, please do. I'm mostly interested in how it will clean the MBP casing rather than the screen.