All iPads Cleaning the screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by badman89, May 11, 2013.

1. badman89 macrumors regular

2. donnaw macrumors 65816

I'm using my 3rd iPad. On all of them I have simply used a clean wash cloth slightly damp with plain water. I dampen one end, wipe the screen and dry it with the dry end.

The main thing to think about is that whatever you use should be clean. Otherwise you run the risk of a small piece of dirt or grit scratching your screen. So if you do decide to get a new cloth be sure to wash it regularly. Which is why I just grab a clean cloth from the linen closet.

While you certainly can buy expensive cleaners and cloths it's not necessary. Don't make it any more difficult than it needs to be.

3. badman89 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks for your response, but I think your situation is probably quite different than mine.

I'm a college student, and I don't have a "linen closet", much less a linen closet that's full of clean cloths!

I'm not sure if you actually clicked on the link I was asking about. It's 2.50 for a pack of 6 cloths. That hardly qualifies as "expensive."

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The microfiber cloths will do a great job. In most cases you don't even need to add any liquid to the cloth - unless your screen is really grungy.

5. donnaw macrumors 65816

I did look at the link. And even if you do buy those cloths unless you keep them clean you run the risk of scratching your screen. I know it's been a long time since I was in college (a few decades since I'm now 62) but even these days college students still do laundry (I hope).

Guess I'm just 'old school'. Why add to your pile of possessions that still must be laundered? But if you have no wash cloths or old T-shirts (or any clean, soft cloth), those will do nicely.

I don't mean to sound snarky. I just read a lot of threads about cleaning the screens. It just seems that some younger folks (who most likely have little cleaning experience) think that it's a complicated process. It's not. I've been cleaning my computer screens for over 20 years. Even with the coating Apple applies, it's still basically a piece of glass. Just stay away from harsh chemicals and dirty rags and it will be fine.

6. ImpKali macrumors member

7. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

I have always used a paper towel along with any ammonia free cleaner that I have on hand. I have never had any problems with scratching the glass on my iPad.

8. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

That's good to hear. I've always been way too scared to clean my iPad screen using a paper towel!

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

A paper towel will not scratch glass. It's that simple.

----------

Those are microfiber cloths. The variety in optometrical uses are a finer grade which results in a silkier feel. But even a low grade microfiber (the thicker kind sometimes used in auto care) will not scratch glass.

10. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Www.klearscreen.com

They make all sorts of cloths and cleaners for Apple products. They've been doing this for years.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

12. tazz3 macrumors regular

13. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

I use this:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA251ZM/A/bausch-lomb-home-and-office-cleaning-kit-6-oz

This is what Apple uses to clean off every product in their many stores after hours - that should be enough to tell you it's good stuff.

I use it on my Macbook, iPhone, and other peripherals to great effect. It doesn't smear up the screen on my iPad or iPhone, and actually resists finger prints a little after using it on the screen.

Highly Recommended - the guys and gals at the apple store near me love it.

14. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I find any microfiber cloth or a slightly damp clean cloth good for cleaning, you don't need any specific cloths or materials.

15. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If you have a screen protector on your iPad (a cheaper one) some micro fiber cloths will scratch that. I have use cheap screen protectors and I clean my screen regularly with a micro fiber cloth. There are numerous scratches on the screen protector because of the cloth but you needn't worry about it scratching glass. Pretty much any micro fiber cloth will do just fine for the glass. I have a mini spray bottle with water in it and spritz a little on the screen and wipe with the cloth. Other than the scratches on the screen protector, nothing else negative to report.