cleaning the screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by karilynn, Oct 24, 2014.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Hi all - I just got a brand spankin' new iMac (not the fancy retina one, unfortunately) but I am wondering how I can clean the screen. I've only had it for a week and it is already a spotty mess! Not sure how this happened so quickly with a screen that I don't touch, but anyway...

I tried the cleaning cloth it came with and it didn't get rid of the little spots. I'm afraid to use any type of cleaner or water and ruin the screen. I tried to do some research on how to clean it but I could only find older posts and maybe they've changed the screen with this new one?

Anyone had any success with a specific product or maybe a microfiber cloth and some water? thanks!

2. robo74 macrumors 6502

robo74

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3226#desktops

Official info right here from Apple says soft cloth dampened with water.

That said, I use Invisible Glass sprayed on a microfibre cloth and never had any problems with it.

[​IMG]

4. karilynn thread starter macrumors regular

karilynn

thanks you guys.

I tried to dampen the cloth that came with the iMac and it left huge blurry smudges all over the screen and then I had a mini panic attack thinking that I ruined the screen, but the more I kept wiping, the better it got. I'll tell you what though, that was the most intense, anxiety-ridden thing that has happened in a long time.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

This stuff is excellent http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8922001/AM-80104-Screen-Cleaner-Anti-run-Gel-200ml/Product.html.

Obviously you'll have to find a dealer near you. It's quite thick so doesn't run, spray it onto the cloth and then clean your screen. I use it on a rMBP and my plasma television. One bottle lasts years.

6. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

A damp, slightly soapy cloth has always worked for me. Followed up, if required, with any generic glass cleaner. No damage in 7 years for me cleaning the screen like this.

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I must admit that I have, from time to time, used glass stovetop polish :eek: very sparingly to get rid of every last streak and get a sleek almost waxed car finish. That said, It is altogether possible that some of the coating might have been effected, but I see no signs of that. Keep in mind I used just a wee bit on a damp cloth and polished it off. I could never get 100% streak free with normal methods.

8. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

I use a somewhat damp soft cloth then dey it with a microfiber cloth. Same for all my monitors and the TV.
    In case it's not enough, you can use a little window cleaner.

9. FreemanW macrumors 6502

Microfibre cloth for the win.

I will just add that for the errant fingerprint or smudge, I use a soft cotton terry cloth, dampened with distilled water . . . . then cleanup with the microfibre cloth.