Cleaning the screen

PsychicRutabaga

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Minnesota
So I'm used to looking at my iPad through a thick, protective layer of smudges, fingerprints, grime, coffee droplets, and all manner of yuck from my big greasy paws. Occasionally I clean it.

But just a little big ago I reached out via habit and TOUCHED THE SCREEN OF MY NEW MacBook! My precious has a smudge! It's like the first scratch on a new car. I can't stand it!

So that made me think, what do people generally use for cleaning MacBook retina screens? I assume like any tech screen, gentle is best. I'm thinking maybe just a slightly damp soft cloth? Eyeglass wipes? Dry microfiber cloth?

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
microfiber cloth with that super-deluxe-triple-reverse-osmosis-ionized-glass cleaner (basically distilled water) seems to work wonders

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
because apple says so.. :rolleyes:

• Use only a soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid abrasive cloths, towels, paper towels, and similar items that might cause damage.
  • Unplug any external power sources, devices, and cables.
  • Keep liquids away from the product.
  • Don't get moisture into any openings.
  • Don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.
  • Don't spray cleaners directly onto the item.
(and because, seriously, manufacturers of these cleaning agents say the same thing)...

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
There was this recent report where retina screens have been damaged by some cleaning products but I am unclear which are the products are the culprits.

http://www.staingate.org

Can someone please explain what is going on? In the past, I have used iKlear on my non-retina screens. I am not sure if I can use this on the MacbBook 12.

Last edited: