Cleaning the screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joeyd929, Feb 14, 2008.

1. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but my macbok has the high gloss screen and there are a few fingerprints and some slight little specs of dust or something.

I do not want to damage the screen but I need to find a way to safely clean the screen, not sure what the best approach would be.

What is the best/safest way to clean the screen ??

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yup, I use iKlear for nearly all my Appley goods and it's what I've seen the Geniuses use in Apple stores, too. :)

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

iKlear for sure.
    I've used it for 4 years. It's wonderful. You can get it at the apple store or a lot of places online.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I use the special lint-free lens cleaning cloths you use on eye glasses. You can get the special cleaning solution also. Just make sure you spray on the cloth and not the screen.

I have cleaned up lots of laptops and LCD screens this way...

5. joeyd929 thread starter macrumors newbie

cleaner

I used some sort of lcd cleaner safe for lap tops, it comes with 1 wet and 1 dry cloth. It cleans it but left smudges, which can only be seen when the screen is blank but I know they are there and it bugs me. I will try iKlear for sure.

My biggest issue is that I am afraid to put any pressure on the screen but need to put some pressure to remove smudges.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

A sponge from your washing up bowl. Good as anything else and doesn't cost the earth. Used that for the last year and the screen's fine. There'll always be those who believe the adverts. ;)

8. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Sherman, thank you. That is the best result on a click I've ever had. :D (and I don't use smilies much :))

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

what you mean there will always be those who believe the adverts ikclear
    is the best cleaning product for your Mac period oh and maybe this
    http://www.mrclean.com/sites/en_US/mrclean/products/new_magiceraser.shtml

great link sherman

10. joeyd929 thread starter macrumors newbie

hope this stuff works.

I ordered this stuff.. http://www.klearscreen.com/detail.aspx?ID=13

I am afraid of pushing on the screen too hard, I don't want to damage it but some pressure is required to remove the smudges......

It is supposed to be for mac books..

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

iklear may be a great product but it is unnecessary. water and a soft cloth, as recommended by apple, will work fine.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

You can put some pressure on the screen, just don't push to hard. The problem is that most of the smudges are from oil on your hands, and it takes a little bit of pressure to get them off. But you don't want to scratch the LCD covering.

The key is to use the cloth when it is wet to break up the oil, and then use the dry part to wipe it off.

I have tried the wet/dry cleaners also, and I felt they left a smeary mess. The eye glass cleaner and cloths worked best for me. I got them at Lens Crafters. Makes my screens look good as new...

13. joeyd929 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success on the screen cleaning

I received the iKlear wipes and drying cloth Wednesday and it worked great, cleaned all the smudges off of my macbook screen. :p

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Glad it worked out,thats why i recommended it in the first place,dont think any
    thing comes close

16. AndyK macrumors 6502a

AndyK