Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
As part of my decision to get a matte or glossy screen, I would like to know the difference in cleaning them.

I have a glossy notebook at home right now, and it is a dust magnet (which is very annoying but I can live with it), but it cleans up easily. The dust and fingerprints just wipe off (using a micro fiber cloth, and a little water if needed) for the most part.

I have a matte (cheapo) monitor at work, and it doesn't attract as much dusk, but it does not clean well at all. No matter what I use to clean it, it leaves ugly streaks that drive me crazy.

Is this the same for the MBP?

I was planning on going with matte because I am a photographer, and need the colors to be accurate, but if the screen will not clean up well I will not be able to stand it.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Smudges and dirt are not as noticable on Matte screens as they are on clossy, but they are still there. Just use a damp cloth to keep them clean and you should be fine.

TEG

::Lisa::

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I have a matte and do photography too. I usually just use a glasses cloth to clean the screen unless it's really dirty, then I will use a slightly damp baby wipe which is gentle, yet cleans very effectively. Then dry with glasses cloth.

sjb

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
My new matte MBP came with a black cleaning cloth for the screen. It works very well. Very similar to the cleaning cloth that came with my iPhone. Does leave some black dust on the keyboard though.

I've also used LCD screen cleaner from Office Depot without any problems. I pick up the special LCD towels they have as well.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I use Omniclean from Radtech.

Normally I just use a microfiber cloth. If the dust starts collecting I usually try antistatic wipes for glasses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.