cleaning the touchpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by V4705, Apr 3, 2011.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I have no problem cleaning the aluminum housing, but the touchpad is much smoother and it never feel clean.

any suggestions?
    thanks in advance :)

2. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The trackpad gets a little hard to slide with for me as well. This is purely from trace amounts of human sweat that inevitably develops over long use or just when you're in a humid enough area. What I do is, I just clean it with a slightly damp tissue. I apply light circular motions to the trackpad. This seems to make things better for a while. I also do this for the blank area to the left and right of the trackpad, where the palm of your hands rests while typing. That area can get a little humidified as well, sometimes even leaving slight white marks.

If anyone else has a better idea, I'd love to hear about it.

3. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I clean them w/ the little cleaning solution that comes w/ wrapsol(basically water and soap).

Once a month should be enough -- but your mileage may vary depending on how much of clean person you are.

4. LightSpeed1, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

I use monster screen clean, with a microfiber cloth. I wipe it down along with my monitor. The trackpad is glass right?

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

iKlear. It's what Apple uses and what a good majority of the folks on here use, including myself. Makes it as good as new and you can use it anywhere on your machine - keyboard, trackpad, screen, outer case, etc.

6. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Seconded. iKlear for everything.

For some reason, my local Apple store has stopped selling iKlear

7. deeesea macrumors 6502

one of those lysol wet wipes.

the keyboard + trackpad area is probably the dirtiest part of your laptop, so I like to wipe it down with a lysol wet wipe maybe once a month? But the freq. depends on how clammy you are :)