Cleaning tips for Whitebook (NOT IKLEANR)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ki2594, May 15, 2008.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Ok, this type of thread has been thrown around a lot but the only thing people have said are things like ikleanr to clean the macbook. I have a great screen cleaner, and a keyboard thing somewhere, but what are some easy tips to keep your whitebook...well white!
    Thanks!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It sounds deceptively simple, but 70% rubbing alcohol on a paper towel will take off most things. What's left can often be removed with a white drafting eraser.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Mr. Clean Magic eraser has always worked for me for the most part

4. macwall macrumors 6502

The magic eraser seems like it would be kind of abrasive. Have you noticed if it takes off any of the casing along with the dirt?

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no, but then again i use if very lightly and at most once a month on it

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Greatest tip: Sell the white MB and buy the BlackBook (come over to the DARKSIDE!). :eek:

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'd rather have to clean off dirt than fingerprints :p

at least for me. plus i don't appreciate that $150 tax on the black one.

8. EngBrian macrumors regular

Another vote for Mr. Clean. I had the horrible dark spots at the palm/wrist area but I put up with it because i didn't want to touch it with anything chemically. When water wouldn't work i finally gave in to Mr. Clean and I was amazed...I have only had to do it once so far so i can't attest to long term macbook material removal but i didn't have to scrub to get it to work either. Just get the thing damp lightly rub it on the dirty places and it's gone...i know i sound like a commercial but it was good.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the absolute champ when it comes to cleaning up not only the white MacBook, but also the black. The only thing I would be careful around is the trackpad since every time I use the Magic Eraser there my trackpad feels wonky for about 2 days. So, I usually just avoid it now.

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i dont use it on my track pad but im probably going to buy the black top since i took off the casing with the eraser and bought a $8 rubber cover that i get mad at sometimes so i think im going to just buy a black top and put the white keys in to blend it some what

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That sounds cool. Send pics when you get the final product! :cool:

12. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

On a side note, is there a place to buy just the white keys? I'd love to have the white keys on my Blackbook.

13. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Yeah, me too. My MB often gets REALLY dirty on the bottom after using it on desks and other locations that are often dusty/dirty... however the removable battery never really seems to get dirty... kind of weird.

Anyway, about every two months or so I take a Mr. Clean magic eraser to the bottom and sides and top of the macbook and it makes it look like new!

Now, if only there was a way to get out the thousands of tiny tiny circular-shaped scratches out of the top of the macbook and fill in the plastic to make it look brand new again.

Any suggestions?

14. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

I have found my Invisible Shield to be excellent at keeping my macbook clean. It was a pain in the butt to apply, but the bubbles found their way out and now it's puuuuurty. :D The only thing I don't like about the IS is the sticky feeling on the touchpad when it's humid or my hands are clammy. The wrist rests are great. I've got a keyboard cover, which attracts everything so I'm having to dust off my screen once a week. I also like how the keyboard cover "quiets" the keyboard and removes that Chicklet feeling.

I travel a lot with my macbook, so having the IS on the bottom is very useful. I also like how it keeps my macbook from feel slippery when pulling it out of or putting it into my bag one-handed.

15. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well to keep the bottom from getting dirty on my desk, i always put it on top of my incase sleeve. Works great. Just worried about dirt in the future. Might go ahead and get the magic eraser. Looks like everyone loves it to clean the book.