Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ok...I did it. I knew it was going to happen. But certainly I'm not the only one who has ever done this...

I spilled pop on my computer...:(

My computer is still working as well as it did before the spill...but the keys are starting to stick (almost 24 hours later). I need to know the proper procedure for cleaning underneath the keys on my keyboard. I've successfully taken the affected keys off but I am not quite sure what the proper way to clean is.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

S2NINJA

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
if your computer still works you're one lucky guy!

try popping off they keys on your keyboard and clean + dry them thoroughly. (maybe put all your keys in a light soap + water mix and shake them in a container, then make sure u dry them VERY well...)

here's a link with some instructions on how to replace individual keys: (download the pdf)

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook-Pro-Keys---Individual-Key-Keycap-p-16753.html

I hope it works out! Good luck!

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ugh...this is gonna be a tedious project...I guess it'll teach me to put my cap on my Sprite from now on!

Or maybe this is what I need to stop drinking pop all together!!!

mikelong622

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
St. Paul, Minnesota
Any ideas of what to use to clean it...i pulled most of the keys off and tried using a moist q-tip (just water) but they still seem a little bit sticky. I read somewhere that Windex worked well.

S2NINJA

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Any ideas of what to use to clean it...i pulled most of the keys off and tried using a moist q-tip (just water) but they still seem a little bit sticky. I read somewhere that Windex worked well.

Dish soap? (I have Dawn). Just use a bit. Windex seems harsh b/c of ammonia.

You will probably have to clean the keyboard surface of the the laptop itself. No clue as to what the best method for that is though. (Isopropyl and a q-tip?) Just do a quick google. I'm sure you'll find something.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.