Cleaning underneath trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZiggyPastorius, Jun 29, 2008.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

So, I'm using my friend's Macbook, and...I'm noticing it [the input] feels a lot nicer than mine does. It's, of course, not used as much, but it's older, and I think it may have to do with the trackpad. On mine, I've gotten some crap underneath the trackpad, so it makes an annoying clicking sound and doesn't click as smoothly as this Macbook's trackpad does. This is all besides the fact that I kind of like Tiger a bit more than Leopard...but, that's not the point. I'm curious: how can I clean underneath my trackpad? I'm afraid to just take it off (if you even can). Any suggestions?

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

all i'll say is, find out for definite before you start trying to pry things away. i wanted to clean underneath one of the keys on my macbook, so just tried to pry it off, and ended up breaking it :D o well, its kinda fixed now, but lesson definitely learnt

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You can take the keyboard/palmrest assembly off of the computer with relative ease (see ifixit.com). From there you have good access to the underside of the clickpad.

4. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Thank you very much! I will check that out later today.