Cleaning unibody MB Screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by michaelaus, Mar 4, 2009.

1. michaelaus macrumors newbie

Before some of you uptight people say 'PLZ DO A SERCH B4 U POZT".. I did. Actually, all over the internet, and none of the solutions worked/weren't adequate.

This is why I'm asking here.

First let me explain the situation. Firstly, I'm at uni quite a bit now and need to use my notebook outside. This makes these oil streaks really noticable on my MB! Theyre all over the screen and EVERYTHING I have tried (spray and wipe, magic eraser, cloth etc) doesn't get it off, just spreads it out. It's almost like a thin layer of crap that keeps moving around.

Basically, I want to know what I can use to get this off. Is Windex safe? I'm not using iKlear or anything I have to wait in the post for.

Thanks for any useful suggestions people have.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A damp microfiber cloth and a little elbow grease keep my screen looking new. For a little extra cleaning power, use diluted alcohol on a microfiber cloth.

You should keep a microfiber cloth or similar on your keyboard when you close your laptop. This will stop finger grease from getting on your screen.

3. michaelaus thread starter macrumors newbie

that doesn't work for me. not even windex. this is ****, this screen is so glary, i hate it.

4. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

used some glass cleaner and a paper towel, a good wipe down, and dry. Looked brand new

6. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

Same.

I use a paper towel with glass cleaner then use a microfiber to wipe the excess that the paper towel doesnt can't. It works find and leaves it streakless. :)

I freakout when people poke my monitor -_-

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Get one of those lint-free cloths that come with eyeglass cleaner. Works wonderfully.

8. stabile007 macrumors member

I use microfiber cleaning cloths I bought from a Photo store designed for cleaning camera lenses. I figured if its good enough for an SLR lense my screen should be fine.

9. dkh587 macrumors regular

I use Monster screen cleaner. Myrtle's, excuse me, my laptop's screen has never looked better.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I lick it and then use a microfiber cloth. I also have iKlear handy for those stains that just don't come off.

11. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

The screen is not made of glass....it has a glass cover....glass cleaner? YES WINDEX WORKS! dont use the cloth provided but a normal handtowel it works excellently for me.

12. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I just use that black cloth that came with my MacBook and blow a little hot air onto the dirty spots and then rub away. It's been fine for me so far.

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I would avoid using paper towels -- they are wood-based and can possibly put tiny micro-scratches on your screen (depending on the quality of paper towel you use). The best thing to use is a microfiber cleaning cloth. They are extremely cheap now-a-days!

Bryan

14. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

iKlear is great. But, all you really need is a micro-fiber cloth and some water.

15. aluminumapple macrumors regular

i wouldnt rely on iKlear like alot of people have posted.. they use very similar chemicals related to Monster Cleaner. and if you make on mistake in not following the instructions.. you just screwed up your screen as ever cm of it is scratched.