Cleaning up and deleting unused files on HDD

surfnode

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
United Kingdom
So a general question.

How long do you keep files on your hard drives for?

Its easy enough to just archive and hoard data and when not properly organised its just difficult to keep track of what you've got but how long do you keep said data for?

Are you archiving files in the sense that you will one day "need it"?

How often do you clear out files that you've not uses/accessed for X amount of days/weeks/months/years?

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
So a general question.

How long do you keep files on your hard drives for?

Its easy enough to just archive and hoard data and when not properly organised its just difficult to keep track of what you've got but how long do you keep said data for?

Are you archiving files in the sense that you will one day "need it"?

How often do you clear out files that you've not uses/accessed for X amount of days/weeks/months/years?
1. How long do you keep files on your hard drive for?
a. Depending on the type of file? Downloaded installation files - rarely. User created files such as word documents, pdf scans, and bills? Forever. I usually save everything, all my photos, bills, word documents, etc... I stream my music and movies so I have only photos/videos that I have taken that take the majority of space.

2. Archive and difficulty with tracking.
a. I have a pretty elaborate folder structure. Back in 2011 on Google Drive, I tended to just archive files. Now, I have about 20-30 folders in which I divide up my data and do a good job putting that data in those folders. My storage folder has the most files in it.

3. Are you archiving files in the sense that you will one day "need it"?
a. Yep, data is cheap and usually my user generated data that I save is extremely cheap and low cost to save. My photos/videos database is about 123GB. My data over the last 10+ years is ~10GB.

4. How often do you clear out files that you've not uses/accessed for X amount of days/weeks/months/years?
I don't. I save everything. I have files from the early to mid 90s. Why not? It's only a few MB.

More important are the backups... I use Arq with Backblaze to backup my data. Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to 2 drives (1 at home and 1 at work), and I use Time Machine to a 3TB drive.

Along with my Vmware Fusion 11 Windows 10 and Starcraft, my MBP 13' sits at 733GB free.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
I have files from 1986 on this Mac, instantly available at the click of a mouse. And many more from between "then" and "now".

I maintain archives of old information, most of which interested me at an earlier time.

It's necessary to "go in" now and then and cull out un-needed stuff. There's no other way to do it, other than "manually".

Reactions: BigMcGuire

pecosjohn

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
1. only keep important and frequently used files on my Mac (128 SSD)
2. Keep the files into organized folders for easy management
3. Yes. Always archive them in thumb drives
4. monthly clean up junk and dup files with TunesBro CleanGeeker

Last edited: