Cleaning up computer desk clutter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Just found this little utility, new to me but others may be aware of it, called
    "Teleport" fantastic preference pane that allows me to very easily use 1 mouse and keyboard to control the 3 computers I have on my desk.
    I needed version 1.0.1 for my G4 and G5 and version 1.0.2 for my mini running Snow Leopard.
    Can't believe how smooth and seamless the transition from one computer to the next is.
    All in all this app is a winner in my book.

2. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Nice, good find! I wasn't aware of it either but now I am, downloading it right away. :)

3. alexreich, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

I wish I'd thought about sharing this before, I thought it was common knowledge. I've used it to control MANY machines at once. At one time I had two iMac G3's, a PowerMac G4, a MacBook, and a Mac mini all set up. It wasn't really useful, I just did it because I could. Haha.

I actually plan on re-downloading Teleport to share my Apple wireless keyboard and Magic mouse between my PowerMac G5 and Mac mini as soon as I get home since you've brought it up! Haha.

I've had to use a USB Apple Pro keyboard and Mighty mouse on my PowerMac G5 at my desk, and then turn around and use a wireless Apple keyboard and Magic mouse for my Mac mini plugged into my HDTV. All just to multitask. Haha.

Now that I have a real use for it, I can appreciate it. I won't have to use the USB keyboard and mouse in my G5, so I can unplug the devices and out them away, gaining me desk space.

4. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

I have used this for a few months (since i got my eMac), and it is AWESOME!!! Although, sometimes i get issues with the Macs "seeing" each other, usually solved by restarting the service.

5. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Have'nt seen any problems myself yet, (touch wood).
    I really like the shared 'pasteboards' feature.

6. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

Hot nuts! This is awesome, I have been using synergy, but this works great too! decisions decisions...

7. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

It wont work if you want the folders to still have the icon from the source computer though....

8. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

Not quite sure what it is you mean here, I'm mostly interested in the ability to select and copy text-pics whatever, on one computer and then paste it into a document, input dialog etc, on a second computer.

9. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Im not realy sure either... I just tried to transfer some icons (in folder form) to my eMac, and the eMacs default folder icon replaced them all.