Monolingual: Freeware http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13031
It allows for language, printers, and intel vs non intel architecure clean up.
I ran it on my G4 1.5 PB w/ 7200rpm drive and it took 40 minutes to clean everything up. It saved 2.5 gb of space.
wow thanks for the tip Kamikaze. I'm glad i stumbled apon this thread as well. I have heard of a striper that gets rid of all the code for the oposite platforms applications however it was free and I didnt realy feel like spending money on it. Cant remember the name anymore however. I'll definitely be giving this one a try when I install leopard
Here are my standard tips for cleaning up hard drive space:
- use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
- I also recommend Disk Inventory X to view HDD usage - it graphically shows you what is taking up space with a decent presentation and UI
- remove GarageBand and iDVD if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
- check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
- use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac*. Another option is to use Delocalizer
- lastly, you could always use AppZapper (not free) to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted
That should just about do it.
* a note about Monolingual. If you are not careful this can seriously screw up your Mac if it is Intel-based. Basically, leave the Architectures settings alone. If you delete G3, G4, G5 then anything which is PPC-based which will try to run under Rosetta, won't. Otherwise, Monolingual is great.