Cleaning up drive a bit

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew07, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

how do i get rid of printer drivers and language files I dont need? thanks!

2. Kamikaze macrumors member

Monolingual: Freeware
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13031
    It allows for language, printers, and intel vs non intel architecure clean up.
    I ran it on my G4 1.5 PB w/ 7200rpm drive and it took 40 minutes to clean everything up. It saved 2.5 gb of space.
    Good luck

3. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

wow thanks for the tip Kamikaze. I'm glad i stumbled apon this thread as well. I have heard of a striper that gets rid of all the code for the oposite platforms applications however it was free and I didnt realy feel like spending money on it. Cant remember the name anymore however. I'll definitely be giving this one a try when I install leopard :)

4. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

hrm just noticed it was for tiger so mayby I wont try it just yet ;) hopefully they will update it soon too :D

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Here are my standard tips for cleaning up hard drive space:

- use OmniDiskSweeper (not free) or my personal favorite WhatSize (free) to determine what all is taking up room on your HDD and where it is
    - I also recommend Disk Inventory X to view HDD usage - it graphically shows you what is taking up space with a decent presentation and UI
    - remove GarageBand and iDVD if you do not need them - that should free up around 6 GB right there
    - check out /Library/Printers/ - 2 GB of printer drivers that you may or may not need
    - use Monolingual to remove the unnecessary language resources from your Mac*. Another option is to use Delocalizer
    - lastly, you could always use AppZapper (not free) to ensure that when you uninstall any programs that all those pesky sub-folders, etc. are deleted

That should just about do it. :cool:

* a note about Monolingual. If you are not careful this can seriously screw up your Mac if it is Intel-based. Basically, leave the Architectures settings alone. If you delete G3, G4, G5 then anything which is PPC-based which will try to run under Rosetta, won't. Otherwise, Monolingual is great. ;)