Cleaning up files from old cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by apachehavok, Feb 27, 2012.

1. apachehavok macrumors member

hey folks!

Updated an Iphone from 4.1 to 5.0.1

Did a full restore.

I did have instullus apps and a ton of cydia tweaks and apps.

Ive noticed that as i reinstall some cydia apps, they setting are preserved.

Also noticed I think im missing some memory.

When I restored did it delete the apps I had installed through installus and cydia or are they still hidden on there?

I have ifile installed/ Any directories I should check out to clean?

THANKS!!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Why not just purchase your apps like everyone else?

3. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

That was a terrible answer to my question. Why dont you just install installus to get OLDER versions of programs with features removed with updates that you purchased? Every think of that smart guy??

Question still stands, what can I do in Cydia to help free more space from previous installs of cydia apps.

Thanks all :)

4. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

Nobody here is going to help you with your pirated apps problem.

5. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

OK. Forget that. Even though I only download apps that I purchased to get older versions like a working ORB but whatever I guess some are too narrow minded to see that.

Forget that part completely.

CYDIA ONLY HERE!

When I restored, and re-installed cydia, when I re-install some apps, it seems that cydia settings and themes are already applied even after a restore.

My question is if there are settings or files that need to be cleaned that cydia leaves behind from a prev install?

Thanks!

6. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Did you do a fresh restore? Or did you restore from a backup?
    I hear that excuse so much. There really isn't a reason to use that app.

7. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

Trust me bud there is. 2 main programs. ORB which used to stream live TV from a connected source (which they removed) and Pandora removed old account user bookmarks. Really only used it for those 2. I dropped 15 bucks on ORB

Anywho. I did a restore, then a backup restore from itunes. Were some settings stored in itunes?

Thanks for the reply

8. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

I've never had Cydia settings restored from a backup. Don't know what to tell you. As for using Installous, I always back up my apps before upgrading to a new version from the App Store in the event that a new version is buggy or whatever. Then you can simply drag and drop the backed up version if needed. Installing pirated software on a jailbroken phone isn't exactly helping you on the security end of things. No knowing how those apps have been tampered with.

9. tateu macrumors 6502

Yes, when you create an iTunes backup while jailbroken, some jailbreak files are backed up also. The only ones I know for sure are preference files stored in /var/mobile/Library/Preferences. If you don't want this to happen, you have to restore from a non jailbroken backup.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

OK... let's start on the "older" programs issues, you are free to do as you like with your device, the issues is that discussions about Installous, hack/stolen app is against the forums rules (regardless of how you use them). Just avoid/omit mention those type application and we can go on with the thread

Now, about your real question, Yes some JB app store their settings and profile on the userside of the OS which get backup and restore by iTunes, there is not a default or "standard" for JB app that developer use, so there is no really a way you can and clean those up yourself, since each developer can pretty much store them anywhere on any format.

If you really want to get rid of them you need to restore and don't bring your backup back, just set the phone as a new (now that will also clear all your none-JB app's settings as well)

11. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

Gotcha thank you very much for the answer.

I appreciate it!

So those programs arent still really installed right? Im just afraid that maybe I have some large theme files that are eating up some memory from a prev install.

Thanks!

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The apps are not installed, the settings and some info about them still reminds, you should not worry about it much, if they are taking any space is usually very minimal

13. apachehavok thread starter macrumors member

perfect thanks so much for the info!

Much appreciated!! Everyone have a great day!