Cleaning up MBP to give to Parents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hukuma, Aug 17, 2008.

1. hukuma macrumors newbie

OK...hope I can get some help from you smart mac folks...
    I bought an MBP back in the Tiger days, and have since upgraded to Leopard. Now, I'm giving the laptop to my parents (sort of...long story), and buying an iMac. So...how do I 'clean up' the machine for their use? I'd like it to be 'like new' out of the box. Do I need to do an Erase and Install with Tiger..and then install Leopard? Or...can I do something else that avoids installing Tiger again. I'm a bit short on time, as she's (mother) leaving in the AM with the machine.
    Thanks!

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The best you can do is:

Trash your sensitive files and secure delete them! Create another admin account and delete your own account from there! When Mac OS asks you if you want to save the files from your account click delete!

Best is reinstall of course!

3. hukuma thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Ink - thanks...ok, so to do the install which you note is the best option...do I have to install Tiger first?

4. macgeek77 macrumors regular

You could just erase the HD, and install Leopard.

However, if your iLife apps are only on the Tiger restore CD's, then install Tiger first, then archive and install Leopard. The whole process wouldn't take more than a few hours.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Er.... what do you mean by "first" Tiger?

If you have another Mac OS version which you prefer (Licensed I hope) install it directly!
    Just make sure you perform a clean install (the option other than "archive" and "upgrade")

If you perform clean install.... everything will automatically be deleted!

P.S.: Backup things that you need also SECURE delete things that are very sensitive..... incase your mother or someone else decides to dig! Both need to be done before you format/perform the install!

6. hukuma thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple Ink - what I mean is...I assume the Leopard disc I have is simply an upgrade from the Tiger that came with my machine (i.e., doesn't have everything the OS needs to run...maybe I'm wrong). I'll try inserting the Leopard disc to do a erase and install and see what happens.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No..... No Apple install disk sold by it (not an OEM) is just an upgrade disk! All are full fledged disks capable of performing a full install!!!

8. hukuma thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent...thanks for the info. I'll load up the disc as soon as I get home and start the erase and install.

9. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Really?

I mean when i got my MBP it came with Tiger and i could buy Leopard Upgrade Cd with only 10€ .So you're saying(correct me if i'm wrong) i don't need to install Tiger first and then Leopard if i want to do a clean install? Just insert the Leopard Upgrade Cd and i'm done?:confused::eek:

10. NSNick macrumors regular

What exactly are you trying to clean up?

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You got it for so less because... Apple had already released the OS but older machines were pre installed with Tiger... so the discount!

And yes... you could do that but it would be STEALING as its a single license copy!

12. NSNick macrumors regular

Reinstalling an OS on the same machine is not stealing.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I didnt realize that he was talking abut the same machine!:eek:

14. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

And why name it "Upgrade" in the cover????What's the point?

I mean i know that i'm upgrading!

15. hukuma thread starter macrumors newbie

NSNick...I was 'cleaning up' the machine for my inlaws. I wanted it to be 'new'...as I stated in my original post.