Cleaning Up Memory After Updating?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pictures, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pictures macrumors member

This is probably a dumb question, and I'm not even sure I know how to ask it (I sure didn't know how to search for it!)

I've noticed that the updates for my Mac are have kind of large file sizes x the number of times it updates = lots of memory used.

How is this handled? If I download an update, does it write over whatever it's updating and then toss itself out? How does this work? Do I need to do anything or will I one day have noting but OS? Am I making sense? :confused: :eek:

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No you aren't making sense, but from what I can make out from what you said, I think the answer is "You're fine, you are being paranoid, and I don't think you fully grasp what it is the system is doing"

3. Salmar macrumors regular

I understand very well what you are talking about. You are concerned about how much hard drive space is being used up with all the updates etc. and if any files are overwritten to regain some hard drive space without piling one update on top of another. But I don't really have an answer for you. I'm sure some programs or updates are overwritten but I don't know about the rest.

4. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Salmar, that is exactly what I am asking, thanks for not being a jerk and calling me paranoid or stupid.

Hopefully someone will have an answer for me soon. :)

5. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

There are plenty of complaints from new Mac users about Mac's replacing files rather than merging them. :)
    Download a new version of an application and drop it over an old version ~ the app gets replaced not doubled.
    Seriously, don't worry about your HD filling up with updates..

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

This is your biggest perception problem........you appear to be confusing memory with hard drive space in this sentence.

But to settle the question, UPDATED files are just that, the existing files are replaced with newer versions and the old files no longer exist......

If you are referring to updates obtained thru the use of the OS X software updater, there are no files left afterwards, so HD space is not a concern.

However, if you are downloading standalone updaters, then you most likely will have the package files on your desktop as a disk/dmg/sit etc. These DO need to be trashed after the update is completed to recover the HD space they took up......

7. pictures thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help! I will update without fear from now on.

8. Salmar macrumors regular

Pictures, you are welcome. I do notice however when I update my favorite browser (Camino) it will deposit the old version into the trash, so that should answer your question also along with the other posters replies.