cleaning up my mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carcha, Jan 29, 2011.

1. carcha macrumors newbie

I have a Mac OS X 10.5 that has duplicate applications , pictures and more. I bought it used and it has listed under devices (in finder) two hard drives. One lists Mac Owner Power Mac and the other Power Mac G4 HD. Do I need two lists? I have library listed underMac Owner Users, Power Mac System and Power Mac G4 HD. There just seems to be crap I don't need that is slowing my computer down. Is there a free or good application to run that can detect what I dont need and help me to get my computer running better. Thank You

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Sounds like you might have two disk partitions - do you?

3. simsaladimbamba

I presume you are new to Mac OS X and Macs?

Anyway, the OS is called "Mac OS X 1.05 Leopard", the Mac might be any Mac built since 2000, but I assume you have a PowerMac G4.
    To find out, go to :apple: > About This Mac ... >> More Info >>> Hardware Overview >>>> Model Identifier and report back.

To find out how many partitions and HDDs you have inside the PowerMac, if that is what you have, open Disk Utility, located in the Utilities folder, but it can also be found via Spotlight (CMD+SPACE).

Normally you can just drag items off the Finder Sidebar without actually deleting or ****ing something up.
    Maybe you enable the Path Bar (View > Show/Hide Path Bar) and click on each item in the Sidebar and see for yourself where they are located.

You can also dupeGuru to look for duplicate files and folder.

But please, please don't delete anything outside the Users folder, except some applications you might not need or take up too much space.

Btw, if you have the Leopard Retail DVD, you could just do an Erase and Install and get rid of all the previous owner's crap.

Also have a look here to learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. carcha thread starter macrumors newbie

cleaning up my mac

Actually I have had a Mac for over 10 years though this one is new. I don't know squat about fixing them or keeping them cleaned up so to speak.

I do have a Mac OS X 10.5 G4. I went to Disk Utility and it lists
    1. 74.5 GB and a ST With 6 numbers and a letter,
    2. Power Mac G4 HD
    3. Sony CD-RW and some numbers and letters.

The last one I thought was a cd that I had put in to dowload some pictures. The cd is no longer in the machine so not sure why it is showing up.

Is this the info that you needed to help me?