cleaning up my mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by martymar112, May 2, 2011.

1. martymar112 macrumors member

I am a new mac user and i wanted to know what are some good free programs to clean my mac. any help would be great thanks again

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why do you think you need to "clean" your Mac?

3. martymar112 thread starter macrumors member

well with windows i always had a program running to delete old history and files that i was not using.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any apps to "clean" your Mac. It's a common question from those coming from Windows, but it's not necessary and some apps can even cause problems. Don't do it. You can easily clear history with your browser.

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

onyx is a great free utility program.

6. lglandon macrumors newbie

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those maintenance scripts have nothing to do with user files or browsing history.

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I wouldn't recommend Onyx. It is too complicated for majority of users and not at all intuitive to use. Very easy to delete something you don't want deleted. CleanMyMac is as far as I would go.

Anyways, I agree with GGJstudios, these programs are generally unnecessary and may even do more harm than good.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you have it reversed. Onyx is a good app, but you need to know what you're doing, of course. One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

10. lglandon macrumors newbie

11. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I was looking at it from ease of use perspective. CleanMyMac is easier to use than OnyX and IMO much harder to mess things up with. As a rule of thumb with any "cleaning" programs you have to always manually check all items to be deleted or there'll [eventually] be trouble.

Personally, I have both of the above apps but rarely use them, but I do find OnyX more functional/useful than CleanMyMac.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just arbitrarily grabbing a link to some app isn't useful. You do not need such apps to keep Mac OS X operating efficiently, and most such apps can do more harm than good.
    I understand, but "ease of use" doesn't equate to "good to use". My best recommendation for your benefit would be to remove CleanMyMac from your system.

13. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Personally, I do not use any tools. Occasionally, I will go into the following two folders and delete the contents (they are downloaded files either from the net or from an email). Of course, I suppose this depends on whether you use Mac Mail and Firefox (which I do)

<User Home Directory>/Downloads
    <User Home Directory>/Library/Mail Downloads

That's ALL I do.

14. lglandon macrumors newbie

The reason that people use mac is because for the ease of use. The application MacCleanse gives you that same ease of use and removes the user data you select from your system.