Cleaning up OSx and the HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hoolamonster, May 10, 2010.

1. hoolamonster macrumors newbie

Well still new to this mac thing, coming from PC...

Anyways, Im noticing my computer starting to slow down. I have UB 2.4 with 4gbs or ram running osx 10.5.8

I need to know how I clean this thing up and get her running all nice again ; ) any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have a backup? Just boot from install disk and reinstall OS X

3. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's the easiest way... Sure you can try OnyX and see if it helps, I just thought you want to "clean" your HD etc, reinstalling OS and starting from scratch is best for that

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And don't blame the Mac. It's probably slowing down because of something you did to it. (installed something, messed with the wrong stuff, etc.)

I've had three Macs, dating back (only) to 1994 and have never had issues with them slowing down. So, yeah, reinstalling will give you a clean slate. Don't dirty it up again, and you might be fine.

Of course, it's a machine. So it is possible that something else went wrong. That happens, even on Macs, and certainly on those other computers.

6. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont blame the mac I only use this for work just been noticing the computer slowing down under loads which it didnt do before...

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Open Activity Monitor and see if any processes are taking a large percent of CPU. Also, how are your page outs?

8. hoolamonster thread starter macrumors newbie

well Photoshop and fire fox are running a lot of RAM around 300 each zero page outs...