Cleaning up programs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vendo, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Vendo macrumors newbie

Still less than a month into my first Mac and now an old PC habit of mine is messing with my OCD.

I'm used to having to run an uninstall and clean a registry file anytime I wanted to remove a program. Now, I've been copying programs I want to the Applications folder, and trashing them when I don't want them. Is there something else I should be doing in the Mac environment to make sure little snippets of program aren't taking up space or waiting to make problems later?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

For the most part apps don't create large files elsewhere on your system- those that do generally come with their own uninstallers which you should use if they are available (for example the Adobe apps or MS Office). Otherwise you can get the small preference files the applications create using one of the programs listed here.

3. ChcktMickey macrumors newbie

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Don't use any. They don't work 100%. Just leave them as is. It takes up a few KBs of space and I'd rather use my time to make more bucks than to mess around. I use to have the same OCD as you, but like you will, I got over it.

6. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG