Cleaning up recordings of old records

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartyCan, Jan 26, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

My Dad recently "ripped" a bunch of old vinyl (or even acetate) records into his MB Air. He has them in both the native format from my USB turntable and also MP3 which was then imported to iTunes. Naturally some of the recordings are pretty scratchy.

Now to the question. He also just bought an iPad Pro. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for some easy to use software (freeware would be good, doubt he'd shell out more than a few bucks) for cleaning up some of the scratch, crackle and pop? Or is there something on the MB he could use easier?

2. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

That is what we used to record the records. Is there an iPad version for cleaning them or is it on the Mac we should do it? I did not find Audacity on the Mac to be that intuitive to use when it came to breaking albums into tracks and have not looked at ways to clean up tracks in it yet.

3. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

There is no iPad app. Audacity has options for cleaning up recordings. And no its not entirely user friendly but very pro results.

4. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Well we did manage to work out breaking an album side into tracks. No idea if it was the most effective method but it worked.

We tried the "noise" reduction. It was too aggressive at any levels I tried it at (just a few) and muddled the music so we left the "Crackle, Snap & Pop" as is. These records are around 70 years old and were a small run. They deserve all the noise they have!