Cleaning up the HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Craigger, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Craigger macrumors newbie

I have multiple duplicate files on my hdd, from draging folders to my hdd, and the importing into itunes/photo etc.

is there a program that will search out duplicates and let me delete them?

2. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

i used idupe and it was wonderful. i have alot of the same songs from different shows and it recognized the differences. overall i think it deleted like 500 songs, so great program

3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Spotlight to find the files, select the ones you don't want and Command Delete. Command+Shift+Delete will empty trash.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

just so you know, iPhoto and iTunes (if set to "copy items to library when addiing") will do just that.

The original files are alright to delete after it has imported everything. Deleting the as you go helps keep it clean.

Personally I don't like iPhoto at all, I still manage photos manually in folders myself. I see no point in using iPhoto, and I do not know why others use it although I'm sure they have their reasons.

With that said, what ARE the reasons you use iPhoto over just manually storing them in folders/subfolders yourself?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me to something that will spark my interest and convert me into an iPhoto user.