Cleaning up the Trash

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tech198, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

We all like installing programs, left, right, & center..

Thus we get accumulated “junk” when we uninstall or use uninstaller programs.

Since the simple “packaging” of apps on the Mac that Apple likes to prevent this from happening, it really doesn’t.

Data likes to live in the “cache”, “Application Support” folders, root folder(s), frameworks folder, System folder etc an app may want to extend when/if the convenience you may want to re-install at a later time, and/or “recipients” or other folders, all which lie outside the Applications folder.

So, while packages may be a better idea, it doesn’t not solve anything….. it merely only helps the problem.. cleaning up. This is why mac uninstallers come into play, although that's also questionable as to how "good" and effective they really are.

Will we ever get there ? I mean to a stage, where an App, just lives inside a "package".... including all system level and or communications, even if “for some reason u must store data points outside while the app runs, because it’s easier” then delete them when these things when app closes.

However, while Microsoft with Windows RT, etc and up do the same "package-orientated" thing now,, is there a reason why u just cannot link to something to the system from a package internally ? I know its easier having it in cached, or externally, but i would Apple could easily link their apps/and all developers could do the same, even from inside a package…

That way, anything packaged, would stay packaged… no fills

If this is just not possible, than at least place these data points outside the app, but *only when the app runs" after the app is closed delete all data, plist etc that the app used including any system resources, extensions, and all other.

Otherwise trash will always be possible even when removing from application folder...

You can always say "These are the main folders app data may live" but only the developer knows where every place on the mac their app data lives,,, so why do they leave it behind ?

Same thing regarding Apple apps

No loose ends… :) Just makes things more tidy..

I agree the "package" system surly in all ways over the "old ways of a PC" But is this possible to do, while keeping all related bit and pieces inside a package..?

Or is just just not possible to do ?

2. Xeridionix macrumors regular

While it is true that uninstalling applications can sometimes leave old preference files and other cache/data on the disk, it really doesn't hurt performance and OS X doesn't become bogged down like Windows does with the registry so it's less of an issue.

You can either go looking around and delete any left over files if you feel comfortable doing so, or there are other ways of cleaning up apps using a third-party tool. These will search your disk for any files that are associated with an app (such as preferences, application support files, third party frameworks, and the like) -- check out http://lifehacker.com/5828738/the-best-app-uninstaller-for-mac for a few options. I've used both AppCleaner and AppZapper in the past with success on customer machines when doing a clean up.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

Ya, i know about both of those, and while they are ood at what they do, my question was more related around is it possible to have a package, and everything bundled in, and if cache files, or associated files must live outside then why not make these temporary instead of leaving them on the system, so the user needs to go round after..

I'm sure Apple can do this can't they ?

Third party apps like AppZapper or App Cleaner would or longer be needed (not trying to put them out of business), but just generally with having stuff scatted all over the place outside the Applications folder rather than every bit of a file an app uses can just be linked from inside the package instead..

Can this in theory be done ?

Like a new concept of a package ? or is this just impossible to do ?