Cleaning up your Mac to free up disk space

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacFever, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

Anyone know if it's possible to clean up downloaded updates from programs on Snow Leopard?

When Adobe downloads updates for Photoshop or Acrobat for instance...after the update get's installed does the file get deleted or it stays somewhere on the system.

Same goes for Mac OSX updates...do they leave a copy of say an Itunes update on the system after it updates it...or does it get automatically deleted from the system.

I'd like to clean out any useless downloads that just sit there taking up space after they have updated the Apps on my Mac.

So does anyone know where to find these downloaded updates and if it's possible to remove them without any issues?

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, updates do not leave old versions of the apps. They replace them. The only time this isn't true is if you intentionally install two different versions. Any files used in the update process are trashed after the update is complete.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Take a look at DiskInventory X, OmniDiskSweeper or GrandPerspective to see where your HDD space went to.

Mac OS X updates get deleted after they have been used, I don't know about PS and other products though, but it is safe to assume, they get deleted too.

4. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

for other junk files and such try cleanmymac.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Same here, do not use CleanMyMac. Same reasons as above.

7. MacFever thread starter macrumors regular

MacFever

ok

thanks for the tips.

usually in some cases some apps that download updates and get upgraded...usually put the replaced files in the trash bin and gives you the option to delete them....but not all apps behave this way...I guess they are set to auto delete after their updates are installed....i.e. Adobe updates.