Cleaning up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by papabill, Mar 20, 2012.

1. papabill macrumors member

The G5 I just got was full of LOTS AND LOTS of empty files and dead files. Is it as easy as just deleting the files on the desktop into the trash bin? I've always had PC with Windoze, and in order to remove anything you gotta hunt ALL OVER THE DRIVE and get dozens of little tiny files that you didn't even know existed.

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can delete the files on the Desktop just fine.
    And you don't need cleaning apps per se, unless the previous owner ****ed the G5 up like there is no morning.
    Five Mac maintenance myths

As it is a used Mac, does it come with grey Restore DVDs or the Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Retail DVD?

As with all used computers, it is best to reinstall Mac OS X completely after wiping the HDD.
    Maybe do that?

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I'll echo the suggestion to wipe and reinstall, if this was purchased used. If you don't have a compatible disk (the computer should have come with one, but with used machines it's always a gamble), then try to find a retail copy of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. Not easy to find now, but they're out there.

jW

4. papabill thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately, it came with nothing. The guy who gave it to me had nothing with it. So I got no Restore DVDs or anything.

5. eric/ Guest

eric/

Post and ask on Craigslist or maybe your local apple store.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

One thing you could do if you want to get rid of all of the previous owners stuff, is to create a new user account for yourself and then delete the previous owners user account. It's not as good as a OS reinstall but it's a lot easier than gathering up and deleting hundreds or thousands of files.