Cleaning USB - C port

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by osnola ibax, Feb 25, 2016.

1. osnola ibax macrumors member

osnola ibax

Hi folks,

The USB - C port on my rMP had quite a bit of dust / lint in it yesterday. How would you recommend cleaning it out?

I used a dry toothbrush and tried very carefully to avoid the connectors. How durable is the USB - C port given the amount that it is used (constantly plugging in charger and accessories) and how susceptible it is to dust and lint? Could it take a few strokes of a toothbrush?

2. MacBadger.com macrumors newbie

MacBadger.com

A dry toothbrush is a perfectly fine tool to clean your MacBook's USB-C port! The tool Apple recommends to AppleCare technicians isn't far off from a toothbrush. :)

You're not going to do any damage unless you're using a dirty or wet toothbrush. (I'd prefer to use a new one.) In the event that a bristle somehow breaks off, don't panic. Just firmly pull it out.

Cheers, and I hope you're enjoying your lovely new MacBook.

3. osnola ibax thread starter macrumors member

osnola ibax

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I am thoroughly enjoying it. I picked it up for €500 less than the Apple Store too so happy days. The only problem that I have is that since I picked it up, I haven't used my rMBP which I only bought last August. Its a beautiful machine and I don't know whether to sell it or not.