Cleaning wireless keyboards?

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
My keyboard is, unfortunately, used by other people and it is disgusting. Anyone have any advice on how I can clean it without damaging it?

Attachments

Steeley

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Use a magic eraser; it'll tear the eraser to shreds but the keyboard looks like new!

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
After looking at that picture, I'd say toss it into an autoclave. That's disgusting.:eek:

Or as others have suggested, a magic eraser or some rubbing alcohol.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks guys.

I tried a damp towel and it didn't work, I will try the other suggestions.

Thanks!

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
hahaha

I have no idea how it got that bad...maybe I will try to pressure wash it and if it still works I will keep it...

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think I got hepatitis just from looking at that:D. I would take the batteries out and wipe it clean with lots of isopropyl alcohol. Then cut off all of the other people's hands at the elbow that use the keyboard.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
My keyboard is, unfortunately, used by other people and it is disgusting. Anyone have any advice on how I can clean it without damaging it?
You gotta get one of these, a Moshi ClearGuard CS Keyboard Cover. You barely notice it and it fits perfectly. To clean the cover, soak in warm water in the bathroom sink with a little dishwasher detergent and just a little bleach. Ten minutes like new again.

The cover also protects the keyboard from damage caused by liquids.

azahar

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2010
Europe
Another benefit with having young kids, is that you always have baby wipes around. They are perfect for cleaning keyboards... damp and anti-bacterial.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Another benefit with having young kids, is that you always have baby wipes around. They are perfect for cleaning keyboards... damp and anti-bacterial.
Any of those disinfecting wipes will do the trick also.