Cleaning with Magic Eraser

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macornomac, Mar 31, 2009.

1. macornomac macrumors 6502

Hey guys I had a quick question. I was going to clean my white macbook with the mr clean magic eraser. Some of my keys are dirty but is it true if you use the magic eraser that it will erase the letters off the keys? Or is that not true. Anyone use it to clean the keys and tell me what the results are??? Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suggest cleaning the keys with a damp cloth. They shouldn't need any more than that.

3. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I know I am resurrecting a bit of an old topic, but I can 100% vouch for Mr. Clean Magic Eraser's (or the generic equivalent thereof) working amazingly.

They do not harm the letters in any way, and do a phenomenal job of taking your white macbook back to it's original white beauty.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried it once on my old iBook, but I found it left a lot of gritty particles behind that took a while to get rid of, but it didn't hurt the letters, though I was mainly working on the palm areas by the track pad.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes a magic eraser could scratch off the letters. Essentially, a magic eraser is a piece of sandpaper. It cleans because it is abrasive but what makes it abrasive is so small it doesn't scratch. That's why you aren't supposed to use it on skin. I would just use a wet cloth and wipe off the keys.

6. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

OK, it could scratch them off. I'll give you that. But ultimately, so could your fingers after repeated use. The markings are VERY durable, and I can affirmatively say that after magic eraser-ing my Macbook at least a dozen times, that the marking are every bit as visible as they were the day I got it. I swear by the Magic Eraser (ok, the store brand, I am cheap :D), personally. If you are that scared of doing microscopic damage to your Macbook, then fine, use a damp cloth. But the Eraser will work better, I promise.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yeah, since I've never tried it, I can't vouch for what will happen. It just could happen because of how the magic eraser is made. I would just use the magic eraser and even If you rub off the letters, you won't be tempted to look at them and it will make your typing skills all the better ;)

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

hahaha that's the spirit!

Ya the only negative I see is that because the eraser ends up bumping on the key edges as you wipe, it degrades the eraser faster and once it is pretty "used" can leave behind little pieces of the eraser itself. Nothing a quick wipe or a blast of compressed air can't fix, though.