Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Wanted to poll the forums on how they are cleaning their standard glass XDR Pro Display. I have tried using water and a microfiber cloth and also the Whoosh cleaning product used in Apple stores. Unfortuantely, I get some streaks on the screen with either of these methods. I have tried using the included apple clothe as well, but this too leaves soe streaks. Not sure if others have any other suggestions.

Thanks!

henrymyf

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2015
My XDR sitting on my office desk is a nano textured one, therefore I never dare touch the screen with my bare finger, nor anthing else. I have been very careful with it for the past three months, and so far, there is nothing dust on the screen. I haven't tried the magic cloth from the XDR package, but I don't believe it's that magical. So to me the ultimate way to clean the screen is to keep it clean.

In my general concept, you should avoid leaving water on the screen to dry out, but instead some solvent that is quickly evaporable. Water is a solvent of some detergent so that the dust and organic stains could come off the surface and wrapped by the detergent molecules in water. But then, if you just leave it as is, then those molecules will be dried out as streaks. What you should really do is to replace the water with some other solvent, such as ethyl alcohol. With this method, I guess the streaks on the screen will become less. Many screen protector expert do this when they are cleaning the cell phone surface and about to start sticking the protective sheet onto the screen.

In other words, this is similar to cleaning a glass window. So maybe those traditional window-cleaning protocols would work as well.

Also, using a gentle one-sided tape might get rid of most dust on the screen I guess.

Comment

betovzky

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
I clean iPhones, iPads and iMacs screens with isopropyl alcohol 90%. So I don't see a reason to not clean my XDR (standard glass) with the same solution. I don't touch the screen of the XDR, but occasionally small particles landed on display and need to be cleaned.

Comment

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't touch the display itself, as well but dust does to settle on the display.

Comment

Bearygoodfries1

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2020
I clean iPhones, iPads and iMacs screens with isopropyl alcohol 90%. So I don't see a reason to not clean my XDR (standard glass) with the same solution. I don't touch the screen of the XDR, but occasionally small particles landed on display and need to be cleaned.

I do the same, or with Lysol wipes, etc.

I've noticed that after months of doing it, there's a smudge on the bottom right side that doesn't go away (I think I may have cleaned off or rubbed of a protective layer of the screen or something.

But, just be aware I have OCD and clean my phone at least once a day, so might not be the case for the average person.

Comment

betovzky

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
I do the same, or with Lysol wipes, etc.

I've noticed that after months of doing it, there's a smudge on the bottom right side that doesn't go away (I think I may have cleaned off or rubbed of a protective layer of the screen or something.

But, just be aware I have OCD and clean my phone at least once a day, so might not be the case for the average person.

It's totally understandable! I do retouch and video post production so a single dot of dried saliva on the screen bothers me. I don't think you can remove the coat of the screen with isopropyl, I have being doing this for 10 years, but not 100% sure.

This is my process:

1. Rocket blow the screen;
2. Wipe the screen with isopropyl embedded microfibre cloth;
3. Dry with a different microfibre cloth (avoid any marks of the quick evaporation);
4. Rocket blow again;
5. If it's still with any uneven area, redo the whole process.

I have a Rocket blower just to blow of any dust constantly, but I believe this is the OCD quick in 😬

Comment

Aboo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Its interesting, I tried btozsky's technique, and I just used whoosh instead. For some reason it appears that the cleaner is getting rid of all the smudges. I used a circular motion as they recommended but despite cleaning, I see areas of "smudges" develop again. Never had this issue with any other Apple screen including laptop screens. Wonder if it has to do something with a special coating or the other thats on these screens.

Comment

betovzky

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2014
Its interesting, I tried btozsky's technique, and I just used whoosh instead. For some reason it appears that the cleaner is getting rid of all the smudges. I used a circular motion as they recommended but despite cleaning, I see areas of "smudges" develop again. Never had this issue with any other Apple screen including laptop screens. Wonder if it has to do something with a special coating or the other thats on these screens.

Even with isopropyl I like to clean and dry (per area I mean) almost simultaneously to avoid this new smudges.

Comment

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
When my Apple Pro Display XDR is on, even at 3 bars of light intensity, I cannot see any dust or lint.
But when it is off and I shine a flashlight on it. It's a horror show, (I had mine for 9 months now). There are circular marks, grease smears, lint, dust plus kid's fingerprints.

Using the Apple-supplied cloth just expands the smears. Breathing on the screen and immediately wiping with cloth only helps for a tiny portion of the XDR.

Any of you with a wet approach that removes the greasy smears without lifting the "coating"

Thanks for you help!

Comment

[maven]

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
When my Apple Pro Display XDR is on, even at 3 bars of light intensity, I cannot see any dust or lint.
But when it is off and I shine a flashlight on it. It's a horror show, (I had mine for 9 months now). There are circular marks, grease smears, lint, dust plus kid's fingerprints.

Using the Apple-supplied cloth just expands the smears. Breathing on the screen and immediately wiping with cloth only helps for a tiny portion of the XDR.

Any of you with a wet approach that removes the greasy smears without lifting the "coating"

Thanks for you help!

For the nano-coated variant, you can use 70% isopropyl alcohol (IPA) solution.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.