Cleaning your Apple products

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've been looking to purchase something that would allow me to clean both my iOS devices and my Mac. Therefore, the purpose of this thread is to find out what you guys use to clean your devices and whether you can give me any suggestions as to what I should buy. I'm looking for something that will allow me to clean both the display and the shell of my Mac.

Thanks for any help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

Good screen cleaning liquid/ kit
How Do You Keep Your rMBP Display Clean
How to clean MBP?
Keeping your Air clean?
Clean your MacBook Pro
Alcohol % for cleaning?
I need to clean my iMac's screen.
Mba cleaning
Using a damp paper towel to clean the exterior: Bad?

Keukasmallie

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2011
WNY
I get a soft cloth damp by wetting my hand then patting some of the water from my hand to the cloth. That allows me to control the amount of "damp" on the cloth.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Most companies recomend dry cloth, but that doesnt clean anything. Its totally OK to use a modestly wet cloth to clean any eletronics. Done that for 20 years, never a problem, it takes all dust away, you can use on exterior case, screen and keyboard. But aftwerwards, do remember to dry the computer with a second totally dry piece of cloth!

Ash9414

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Thank you for your replies.

So there's no need for any special solutions or sprays?

And what type of cloth would you suggest? I've found a number of different ones made from varying materials, so I was wondering what would be best, especially as I don't wish to scratch or mark my display.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So there's no need for any special solutions or sprays?
No, as stated by Apple and others, water is fine.
And what type of cloth would you suggest? I've found a number of different ones made from varying materials, so I was wondering what would be best, especially as I don't wish to scratch or mark my display.
Any soft cloth would be fine.