Cleaning your iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Just wondering how many of you clean your iphone. I mean surely it gets plenty dirty from being handled so much. I mean with the contact to your hands, face, food, pockets, tables, etc etc. it must be a breeding ground of bacteria, not to mention just whenever the appearance becomes dingy.

So do you ever clean it? And how do you clean it? I mean u clearly can't use water, or at least not much. In the past I have mostly used my breath to wipe the front, and a little bit of my saliva to wash off the back. (probably not the most sanitary options)

So what do you think is the best way to clean your iphone? I'm basically looking for some tips here. :)

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes I clean it, I have a screen protector, so I just get like some water on my finger and then smother that all on the screen. Same for the back, compressed air for the dock connector.

3. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Personally, I try to avoid putting my iPhone in my food... ;)

I find there's nothing the supplied microfiber cloth can't handle, tbh. But then I always keep a bottle of anti-bacterial handwash nearby for when I'm not at home. I also always wash my hands before touching my Macs, I like to keep them sterile. I'm not anal retentive about it, I just don't like being ill and I like my Macs to look boxfresh :)

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

You're probably not supposed to do this, but I've cleaned my iPhone 3G every night for months using a new Clorox wipe each time. Makes it nice and squeaky clean, and haven't had any problems- just wipe it with the wet wipe and then dry with a paper towel or tissue.

5. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

eh i think the breath technique works fine. Maybe every once in a while clean with an anti bacterial.

6. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

pc duster for all the speaker holes and holes in general, then the micofiber cloth and if necessary some windex. I have a screen protector and i use an otterbox defender so i dont have to clean it all that often

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Screen/Lens Cleaner with the cloth the phone came with... :D

8. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Zymol car wax keeps mine pristine! (once a month)

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

+1

10. BriBoy01 macrumors newbie

I use a cleaning wipe designed for eye glasses. They are made by Baush & Lomb and are called Sight Savers. They work on the glass screen and the back and make it look brand new. Occasionally I blow in the speaker/mic/headphone holes with compressed air.

11. KRAPPS macrumors 6502

KRAPPS

Agreed - only thing is since I'm anal, I would caution about the paper towel/tissue part in fear of hairline scratches ... go with a microfiber cloth for wiping dry ... again, me = anal :D

12. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I occasionally apply Windex and use the cloth to clean; works like a charm.

Jude

13. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I thought paper towels/tissues are good for your anal...

14. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I use the only warranty approved cleaning solution (that I know of) iKlear.... I purchased a iKlear kit 2 years ago with my black macbook and use it for the iPhone...

The package I purchased back then came with 4 different cloths... 1 large blue smooth, 1 small blue smooth, 1 grey (sort of like a eye glass cloth) and 1 fuzzy blue one... it also came with a bunch of travel sized wipes...

it's really nice for when you're applying screen protectors since it is also an anti-static solution....

I'll usually wipe down the screen every 2nd day (anti-glare powersupport) then remove my case every 5-7 days and do a full clean....

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Ditto with Dettol wipes (you dont want to know how much crap you carry on your hands). Works like a charm.

But don't do mine every night...more like weekends

16. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

17. efice32 macrumors 6502

This stuff is magical. It's great for TVs, laptop screens, desktop monitors, iPhones, iPods, everything pretty much. It's amazing and makes stuff look like it just came out of the box. It's what I use to clean my iPhone, to answer the question.

18. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

19. iWantiPhone macrumors regular

20. spikedfo macrumors regular

Use the washing machine and hang the iPhone out in the balcony.

21. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

+1

22. slapppy macrumors 65816

Where to buy

Anyone know if its possible to buy replacement wipes that came with the iPhones?

23. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

+2

Pointless treads. How do you clean or flat panel TV? iPod? Computer? All applies here. Just maybe some water and microfiber, or iKlear of you have more Dollars than Sense.

24. Jess.H macrumors member

Jess.H

I just use a cloth used to clean eye-glasses, nothing fancy. [​IMG]

25. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie