Cleaning your MBP (Airholes)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brianj, Sep 23, 2007.

1. brianj macrumors member

Hello,

I got sand corns in the air holes to the left and right of the keyboard on my MBP, its driving me nuts. How do you get rid of them? Ive tried using a thing needle and a vacuum cleaner, both without luck.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I had that problem I used one of those cans available for cleaning keyboards etc which have compressed air in them and pressing it blows air out which seemed to have solved my problem

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would not recommend shooting particles into the computer. If it is really bothering you, and you do not mind voiding your warranty in theory, I would take the top case off of the computer and use some compressed air to blow the particles the opposite way, away from the internals of the computer.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The speaker assembly is right under those holes (attached to the top case), so you can't actually get at the reverse side of the holes without pulling the whole thing to bits.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

I cleaned mine last time I had it apart, no issues putting it back.

Just always be careful, go slow, and take a lot of photos for reassembly.

I still think doing nothing would work better than blowing in. Maybe put some masking tape over the holes? Try to pick up what you can without shooting anything in further?