CleanMyMac 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by John Pex, Nov 21, 2015.

1. John Pex macrumors newbie

Hello.

I have always uninstalled apps manually but i keep thinking if there are some files left behind. I use filters and search in the library and so on.
    Recently I have heard about CleanMyMac 3 to uninstall apps. Is it a good app or is there anything better? Also should I use these kind of apps or keep uninstalling manually?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can search this forum for this topic and find about 1,000 old threads. In short, the answer to your last question is yes. Well, it's a compound question (two questions in one sentence). The answer: manually. Use the app's own uninstaller if it has one, but then you might "need" to find files left behind. Usually, these are small bits here and there that won't amount to much cumulatively unless you download and then delete 100 or so apps a day for a year or two.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

You really don't need any sort of utility like that. CleanMyMac is akin to malware. They're a waste of your money.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Interesting app: light and free.

BTW I'm not usually installing a lot of software on my Mac, so I don't really care about leftovers. This isn't Windows.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

CleanMyMac has a history of cleaning out stuff that results in an unbootable system.

7. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

I for one use it (though I use Onyx as well) and I believe you should rather put it:

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

(adding ... as a result of my actions)
    Well, no. If you didn't have CleanMyMac, then you would be less likely to try that action.
    Even OnyX can lead the casual user down a bad path, but CleanMyMac still makes that way too easy.
    And, it's just a reminder that many experienced users finally come to a conclusion that the "cleanup" utilities can often be less than useful, and seldom serve a real purpose, other than some form of placebo affect.
    OnyX is one of the best at what it does, and remains free. CleanMyMac remains well down the list, nowhere near that top level. And - not free...
    It's hard to get rid of that bad taste after I have worked in a service shop, and fixed more than a few Macs that turned out to be "a result of their actions" - after using CleanMyMac. I don't tend to blame the user, but I do warn them that CleanMyMac is not the best choice.
    Good thing it's pretty! lol

9. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

+1 for AppCleaner. Use it all the time and no damage. Especially useful with removing tricky licensing programs and stuff – even better for PUPs :)

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have never ever used CleanMyMac - I have a *NIX background and know that most *NIX OS systems do their own cleanups. Plus I researched CleanMyMac and decided to never ever touch it.

11. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Nicely put.

12. vkd macrumors 6502a

vkd

13. desertman macrumors 6502a

Another vote for AppCleaner. Never had any problems with it

And also another vote for "CleanMyMac = malware".

14. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Malware, lol

We do like to get dramatic about software on here, don't we.

15. desertman macrumors 6502a

You are right. "Malware" is probably not the right word here. It is just an unnecessary and overpriced piece of software.

16. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Couple of utilities wrapped up in a pretty GUI. Said utilities you could probably get from multiple applications. Some of said applications are unnecessary, or are appealing to the Windows converts, who are still in the "MUST. MAINTAIN. COMPUTER" mode. But, does what it says on the tin and people are not forced in to buying it, like anything that costs.

17. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

I finally gave in and purchased Clean my mac 3 tonight 20% discount, 1st clean went smoothly, no probs.

It's not a necessity purchase, though reminds me a wee bit of Advanced Windows Cleaner from p.c. years.

Nice clean interface, simple scan and clean , the app uninstaller is handy :)

18. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

I think that most experts would agree that most maintenance software is unnecessary on a Mac and often does more damage than good. That said I do use AppZapper when deleting unwanted software. I see you have already purchased the software in spite of advice given. Good Luck!

19. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Day 2 is going well,my external hdd time machine backups continue to work.

Sky desktop continues to work.

Macbook is smooth as always.

No unwanted virus alerts from Avast.

iTunes and general clean up from yesterday, no probs.

7 hrs remaining 95% battery. not bad@92% health after nearly 3 yrs of use.

I'll report if I see any reason not to continue to use cleanmymac 3

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

+1 for AppCleaner. Neverhteless, I have to say that a full uninstall can be done only manually. For this purpose you can use EasyFind.
    Las but not least, stay away from CleanMyMac! (The Forum (and the Internet) is full of threads/topics dealing with problems caused by these harmful "software")

21. frazzm737 macrumors regular

frazzm737

We will be happy to help when you start to report slowdowns or other unwanted behavior on your computer. Our advice will be to uninstall Clean My Mac even though you got it at a discount!

22. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hey, it is at version 3 now.... Maybe they finally have it working, and that it is something worthwhile to keep.
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

23. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

no probs fazzm737

Iv'e been reading the rumours and probs, maybe they are true, not sure.

What I do know is I don't download anything I shouldn't be