CleanMyMac Advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Turian.Spectre, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Look at my screen please. I use CleanMyMac to clean up once in a while. its great when deleting apps and such, you just send it to the trash and it finds all the extra stuff, deletes it, and quits on its own. Same when it comes to external drives, it deletes unneeded files from those as well. Once in a while I go into it to clean log files and such, I do not understand what the Universal Binary part is. I run a MBP 5,3 model, with snow leopard. Do I need to keep those files? It says its something that has to do with powerbook.

Attached Files:

2. 3282868 macrumors 603

Universal binary refers to applications that are written for PowerPC and Intel processors. "Snow Leopard" is written specifically for Intel processors (hence the lack of PowerPC support), but third party applications may still be written for both systems. As your MacBook Pro is Intel, running "CleanMyMac" to strip the excess PowerPC code from third party applications will save space on your HDD and improve the speed of your applications.

I run "CleanMyMac" at least once a week. It's good for removing unwanted language support (obviously only English is needed for my purposes), stripping out unnecessary code depending on system (PowerPC or Intel), fixing broken system preferences, managing plugins, checking the trash for the system as well as imbedded trash such as the trash in iPhoto and Aperture, and many other features. Hope this helps.

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

A Universal Binary has the code for not only your machine, but older Macs as well. They do that so there aren't two different versions of the software. One download for everyone. Since you don't need that other code, CleanMyMac can get rid of it.

4. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

That really explained it for me. A light bulb pinged above my head when I read your post. Thank you! Good explanation for noobs like me is the best...

5. 3282868 macrumors 603

Glad I could help