cleanmymac question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreeneyes, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

i ran cleanmymac today, and i saw that universal binaries were huge in file size.
    is it safe to clean those?

and what about the language files?

if i remove them will it do any harm to the apps?

thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

How big is your internal HDD and how much capacity will you win when you deleted those files?
    CleanMyMac cleaned too much

Better try Monolingual to delete unnecessary languages and architectures, but be sure to have a backup to fall back onto in the unlikely case of failure.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The biggest issue with apps like CleanMyMac is that after using the app you can wind up with an unbootable system that requires re-install of OSx. Or you can wind up with applications that no longer work.

It's far better to learn what files can be removed and how.

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

This kind of thing is *always* a risk.

* Is the space saved really worth the risk? Personally, I wouldn't even consider it for less than 5GB savings on a drive of over 100 GB.

* Make sure you make a full BACKUP and keep it for a while in case problems crop up.

6. sine-nomine macrumors regular

For some reason, every time I see an ad or read a post for this kind of software, I think of a line from Huck Finn:
    "Well, I'd been selling an article to take the tartar off the teeth - and it does take it off, too, and generly the enamel along with it..."

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Would never mess with this sort of software on a Mac. Unnecessary and asking for trouble.