Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Curtiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2013
Indiana
New to mac. Do I need this app. I downloaded the trial ver and it does what they say. Reviews seem to be positive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Which review? It was probably paid for by MacPaw.

Articles explaining why Mac OS X does not need maintenance software like CCleaner, MacKeeper or CleanMyMac:

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
New to mac. Do I need this app. I downloaded the trial ver and it does what they say. Reviews seem to be positive.

No NO NO, get rid of it as fast as you can, it's rubbish and can damage your System, also do not ever use MacKeeper, it's notorious.

You don't need anything on OS X, it does a good job by itself, if, and only if you run into problems Onyx is the App to use.

Comment

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
You don't particularly NEED maintenance software on a Mac, but CleanMyMac (especially the new version) is not so bad actually, it's certainly not a scam semi-malware like MacKeeper and has actually som neat functions and design. I ocassionally use it for certain tasks (such as uninstalling apps, removing languages or slimming iPhoto library) and it never hurt my system. As I said, you don't really need it, and I don't know if it's worth the $30 but I got it with a significant discount and I don't regret that purchase. I wouldn't totally condemn it at once.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.