Cleanup utilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cronker, Jan 9, 2009.

1. cronker macrumors newbie

Hi

I am new to Mac (love love love it!!) after many years working on a PC platform.
    On the old Windows OS, it was recommended that you use the Disk Cleanup utility to clear the disk of cookies and random junk that the system stored.

Is there a Mac equivalent to this?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You can repair permissions etc by going into disk utilities found in your applications folder or for a general maintenance app OnyX is what most people would recommend

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I second the Onyx recommendation. Great little app.

4. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Disk Utility works well, but don't run other programs with it because they run really slow, I usually run Disk Utility THEN Onyx, but if it says their is a problem like the hard drive is not valid and it says re install OS X or to put the OS CD in and run a utility from there, just wait 2-3 days scan again and the problem will be gone, happened to me and then I was worried, so before I popped the disks in I tried one more time and it said all was good :D

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Ima have to check out that Onyx program. I've been using AppCleaner to get rid of apps I wanna completely remove.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

OnyX is a maintenance tool and not a app for removing apps, so keep AppCleaner for that

7. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Cool, I was planning on it. I figured Onyx wouldn't do the same thing.