Cleanup video noise

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Artful Dodger, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

So as the title states some video I'm testing in less than good conditions will have noise such as some low light and so on.

The bigger question is what software such as Red Giant or Noise Industries do most prefer to use or have used to cleanup mild artifacts/noise with your video?

I've watched a good amount of videos from both companies and both seem to really work nice though any real world input from everyone here would be fantastic :D

I would not be shooting in 4K or 2K if that helps and I would be using FCPX and most likely AVCHD for my format.

Thanks for any help!

2. Unami macrumors 6502a

i've got neatvideo and red giant's noise reduction (which was not available for fcpx when i bought neat video about a year and a half ago - this might have changed in the meantime) - imho neatvideo does a better job.

keep your video files as short as possible - running noise reduction on an hour of footage might require half a day of rendering (or more).

3. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks, Neat does make it for FCPX though I think you were more so meaning from Red Giant and Neat did reply to me in their email which mentioned it was available. I always email companies even if the site claims to be compatible just to have a recourse incase a typo is made somewhere.

I would keep the clips really short and to a minimum amount in my videos as well because of what you said.

Thank you very much :)

4. Policar macrumors 6502a

Neat video is great make sure you sample the noise well and learn the settings. Not complicated but not super intuitive. Possible to get "strange" results.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

A big fan of Neat, used it on a family wedding recently which was filmed inside a barn and managed to do a good job of removing the noise. Neat also gives you the option of printing out a test pattern on a bit of paper, so if you film the patern when onsite, the software will be able to better work out how much/what kind of noise reduction to apply.

6. DavidDoyle, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014

DavidDoyle macrumors member

Another big fan of Neatvideo here, did an amazing job on some very noisy footage I took in a dark bar.

@hvfsl - I've not heard of the option of doing a print of a test pattern though? Have looked through the user guide and only mention of building a profile is based on recorded footage.

Update : Found it : http://www.neatimage.com/testtarget.html but isn't this for Neat Image and not video?

7. Artful Dodger thread starter macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks everyone, lots of great info here. Not sure when I will be filming this summer but I will post back and either post a sample or better yet a link of a scene that I used it on.

Thanks again and good luck to all those that do you use when needed :)

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It might be a new addition (I only got it back in Nov), so I would make sure you have the latest version of the Neat Video. But it is basically the same process for video.