Cleanup

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gw0gvq, Oct 14, 2017.

1. gw0gvq macrumors 6502a

gw0gvq

Whats the best way to clean my Mac up from all unwanted empty folders etc

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Just delete them? drag them to the Trash or use 'command and backspace', then empty your Trash

3. KhunJay macrumors 6502

KhunJay

I use a couple of apps like disk cleaner and cleanmymac but you have to watch what you're deleting very carefully....if in doubt don't delete.

cleanmymac can delete stuff that some apps are using.

4. NoBoMac, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

NoBoMac macrumors 68020

+100

Empty folders are not eating up any real space, so no harm leaving in place.

To find all the empty folders in your home account/folder, open Terminal.app, then:

Code:
    cd ~
    find . -type d -empty
    Once you have the list, can use Finder to move the folders to Trash.

The find command can be used to delete the folders as well, just that it is probably safer to do it manually.

5. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

"etc." is a big term.

I'd be leery of searching the Mac for every possible empty folder - there can be empty folders in app bundles, data libraries, the OS, etc. that may still be necessary for proper function.

It's not too hard to search for empty folders in specific locations, like Desktop and Documents - that's where you'd have been likely to create folders that then went unused. Go into one of those folders, set to List View, click on the "gear" icon at the top of the Finder window > Select Show View Options > Select Calculate all sizes. This will show the size of every folder, then sort the contents by size. The empties will float to the top. If you have nested folders, you'll need to lather, rinse, and repeat.

6. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Backup data to external drive, wipe partition and reinstall OS.