Clear and Anti-Fingerprint/Smudge screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lazerbrains, Mar 14, 2012.

1. lazerbrains macrumors regular

lazerbrains

I am looking for a good screen protector. I am currently using the Power Support Crystal screen protector, and I like it for it's clarity and it almost seems like it is not there. However, it attracts smudges and oils like nobody's business.

My screen constantly has smudges and fingerprints all over it. When I try to wipe it off on my jeans, it doesn't really work. The smudges just move around. It has an oily residue that is nearly impossible to get rid of. Even if I use a tissue or toilet paper, it still takes an extremely long time to get rid of the residue. And even when you do, it tends to come back in a short period of time.

So I am looking for a replacement screen protector. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, relatively clear, (i really like my retina display) anti-fingerprint / anti-oil screen protector?

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Zagg screen protectors are pretty legit and durable

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

The problem with zaggs is the orange peel is horrible. It ruins the display

4. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Spigen SGP GLAS.t tempered glass screen protector for the iPhone with oleophobic coating.

5. lazerbrains thread starter macrumors regular

lazerbrains

Wow!! That looks awesome! How thick is it? It looks kinda thick. WIll my bumper still fit over it?

6. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

My zagg is just a clear screen protector no orange anything

7. k3roro macrumors 6502

PowerSupport actually makes an Anti-Glare version and I found these ones to be finger-print proof.

8. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Moved to the correct forum...

I have the SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Fine protector set for my iPhone and highly recommend it. Cuts down on glare and fingerprints drastically while not affecting clarity significantly.

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

I've heard good things about the power support anti glare. Mines due to arrive Friday.

10. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

It's a little thicker than your average plastic screen protector but bumper cases definitely fit over it.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Orange peel refers to texture, not color.

12. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

13. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Really texture?Mines smooth as hell thats odd

14. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

You have many options:

SGP Spigen Ultra Fine or Power Support Anti Glare:

Very fingerprint resistant, but has some blurring effect on the screen.

SGP Spigen Oleophobic:

Same thikness as a regular scren protector unlike the glass. Has an oleophobic coating to make cleaning easier. As clear as the naked screen.

SGP Spigen Ultra Optics:

A compromise between Anti-Glare and crystal screen protectors. Less clear than a clear and less fingerprint resistance than the Anti Galres.

15. LxHunter macrumors 6502

SGP Spigen Ultra Optics:

A compromise between Anti-Glare and crystal screen protectors. Less clear than a clear and less fingerprint resistance than the Anti Galres.

The Ultra Optics is the best compromise I have found.
    I have switched to the SGP GLAS.t and like it.
    Very clear and resists fingerprints, but not anti-glare (it is glass).

16. Groundhog66 macrumors member

Groundhog66

Does anyone know if these work with a 4s Mophie Juice Pack Plus?

17. Chargerdan macrumors member

They all work with the Juice Pack Plus. The nice thing about the Juice Pack Air and Plus is that it doesn't overlap the screen.

18. charlesdayton, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I also consider it the best compromise. In fact it is the clearest anti-fingerprint film available. Unfortunately it still affects the clarity. Right now I am using it but considering going back to oleo. The problem with oleo (and naked) is that you still get fingerprints, although they are easier to clean.

19. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

Apply a thin layer of Meguiars NXT wax on the protector. The fingerprints magically disappear. Works like a charm. I do this on my PS Crystal, and so far so good.

20. lazerbrains thread starter macrumors regular

lazerbrains

Really!?! I'll give that a shot first since I already have the PS Crystal on my phone. Do you have to reapply it regularly?

21. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

I applied the coat a week ago and it's still good! I don't mind putting a coat on every month if it's going to keep fingerprints off. And I noticed instead of using a cloth to wipe the screen... I use a microfiber towel, and it cleans much better. Try it and let me know what you think... I personally hated the PS Crystal the first two days but after the rubbery feeling wore off and I applied the wax it was just perfect.

22. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

Oh btw, check the thread I made on it. I'd rather you apply the coat the same way I did, just to be on the safe side. And whatever you do, don't apply just any wax either. You don't want to apply carnuba wax, that wouldn't be a good idea.

23. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip. I will try it with my older PS crystal. I wonder how Meguiars Ultimate Wax or Collinite would work as these are rated for longer durability than NXT.

24. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

Well if you have an extra protector as a back up... it's worth the try. Should be similar results.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1343817