Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
I am looking for a good screen protector. I am currently using the Power Support Crystal screen protector, and I like it for it's clarity and it almost seems like it is not there. However, it attracts smudges and oils like nobody's business.

My screen constantly has smudges and fingerprints all over it. When I try to wipe it off on my jeans, it doesn't really work. The smudges just move around. It has an oily residue that is nearly impossible to get rid of. Even if I use a tissue or toilet paper, it still takes an extremely long time to get rid of the residue. And even when you do, it tends to come back in a short period of time.

So I am looking for a replacement screen protector. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, relatively clear, (i really like my retina display) anti-fingerprint / anti-oil screen protector?

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
PowerSupport actually makes an Anti-Glare version and I found these ones to be finger-print proof.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Moved to the correct forum...

I have the SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Fine protector set for my iPhone and highly recommend it. Cuts down on glare and fingerprints drastically while not affecting clarity significantly.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
I've heard good things about the power support anti glare. Mines due to arrive Friday.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
You have many options:

SGP Spigen Ultra Fine or Power Support Anti Glare:

Very fingerprint resistant, but has some blurring effect on the screen.

SGP Spigen Oleophobic:

Same thikness as a regular scren protector unlike the glass. Has an oleophobic coating to make cleaning easier. As clear as the naked screen.

SGP Spigen Ultra Optics:

A compromise between Anti-Glare and crystal screen protectors. Less clear than a clear and less fingerprint resistance than the Anti Galres.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
SGP Spigen Ultra Optics:

A compromise between Anti-Glare and crystal screen protectors. Less clear than a clear and less fingerprint resistance than the Anti Galres.

The Ultra Optics is the best compromise I have found.
I have switched to the SGP GLAS.t and like it.
Very clear and resists fingerprints, but not anti-glare (it is glass).

Groundhog66

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
CA
You have many options:

SGP Spigen Ultra Fine or Power Support Anti Glare:

Very fingerprint resistant, but has some blurring effect on the screen.

SGP Spigen Oleophobic:

Same thikness as a regular scren protector unlike the glass. Has an oleophobic coating to make cleaning easier. As clear as the naked screen.

SGP Spigen Ultra Optics:

Does anyone know if these work with a 4s Mophie Juice Pack Plus?

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

The Ultra Optics is the best compromise I have found.
I have switched to the SGP GLAS.t and like it.
Very clear and resists fingerprints, but not anti-glare (it is glass).

I also consider it the best compromise. In fact it is the clearest anti-fingerprint film available. Unfortunately it still affects the clarity. Right now I am using it but considering going back to oleo. The problem with oleo (and naked) is that you still get fingerprints, although they are easier to clean.

Last edited:

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Apply a thin layer of Meguiars NXT wax on the protector. The fingerprints magically disappear. Works like a charm. I do this on my PS Crystal, and so far so good.

lazerbrains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2011
Apply a thin layer of Meguiars NXT wax on the protector. The fingerprints magically disappear. Works like a charm. I do this on my PS Crystal, and so far so good.

Really!?! I'll give that a shot first since I already have the PS Crystal on my phone. Do you have to reapply it regularly?

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Really!?! I'll give that a shot first since I already have the PS Crystal on my phone. Do you have to reapply it regularly?

I applied the coat a week ago and it's still good! I don't mind putting a coat on every month if it's going to keep fingerprints off. And I noticed instead of using a cloth to wipe the screen... I use a microfiber towel, and it cleans much better. Try it and let me know what you think... I personally hated the PS Crystal the first two days but after the rubbery feeling wore off and I applied the wax it was just perfect.

Nocturnal-G

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012

Oh btw, check the thread I made on it. I'd rather you apply the coat the same way I did, just to be on the safe side. And whatever you do, don't apply just any wax either. You don't want to apply carnuba wax, that wouldn't be a good idea.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011

Thanks for the tip. I will try it with my older PS crystal. I wonder how Meguiars Ultimate Wax or Collinite would work as these are rated for longer durability than NXT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.