clear case for MBP 15" Wouldn't it cause heat problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhk7784, May 6, 2009.

1. jhk7784 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm finally getting a MBP 15".
    I was thinking of getting protection accessories together with it.

While searching I found a clear plastic casing that covers the entire laptop. Just wondering since the new MBP is an aluminum wouldn't it cause heat problems if the case covered the entire laptop?

Is anyone using this kind of protection?
    THanks for the reply in advance

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) The clear cases have air vents for the fans

2) Physics 101: solids are better conductors than gases like air, so if anything by increasing the surface area you'll actually reduce your overall heat.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

But you'll scratch the hell out of the machine with those crappy Speck cases and the other imitators.

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

But Pinky, air is an insulator and there will always be air between the case and the body! :p

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I second this. Use your machine as nature intended you too. You will enjoy it more when you stop thinking about accidentally scratching it. It's a tool, not a baby.

6. thugdrummer macrumors newbie

Yes, however...

Physics 102:

To what is the solid conducting the heat? Convection presents a continuously refreshed supply of air to the heat source. All cooling solutions require air to absorb the heat at some point. The faster the heat is transferred to the air, the more efficient the cooling. The laptop case is aluminum , and is therefore a great transfer medium (you'll know this if you watch a DVD while holding it on your lap). Covering it with plastic, a poor heat conductor (good insulator) slows down the heat exchange, increasing internal temps.

Unless you can find a snug fitting aluminum cover that's bristling with cooling fins and uses heat conducting paste between the cover and the laptop case, your better off leaving it naked.

7. ColinEC macrumors 6502

You should haven't any heat issues, although if you're trying to protect your MacBook from scratches a plastic case may scratch it a lot.

One of my family members bought a Speck see-thru case for their MacBook and it ended up scratching the hell out of it, I'd recommend just buying a soft case to put the computer in while you transport it and that's it - it should be just fine :)

8. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

agree

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yep. But as I was alluding to earlier, this is further down the chain of why the plastic argument is in error. By putting on a case, the layer of air itself between the case and the plastic is an insulator and it's not going anywhere. The heat transfer to the plastic isn't even taking very well in the first place.

10. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

Invisible shield

I have one on my MBP Unibody for about 5 months now and i love it. You can wipe you keys at your MBP and nothing will happen, besides your heart stopping. Well worth the investment. And they have lifetime warranties.

Zagg.com

good products and great customer service.

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Second this. Invisible Shield for while you're working plus a good bag for while you're moving (I like my timbuk2) is the best protection.