Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrecoISU

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
I'm going to be getting a 6 plus and I'd like to get a clear case but one thing has me concerned. Dust. How do they do keeping dust out from under it? I know all of the cases I've had get dust accumulated under the case somehow. A solid case hides that, a clear case... Not so much.

What are your experiences?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I'm going to be getting a 6 plus and I'd like to get a clear case but one thing has me concerned. Dust. How do they do keeping dust out from under it? I know all of the cases I've had get dust accumulated under the case somehow. A solid case hides that, a clear case... Not so much.

What are your experiences?

It's very hard. Few cases are really air tight. You just have to sort of put up with it and clean every now and then. I don't like how dust gets in around the edges of where the case meets the phone too. But, short of using just a skin, I don't think there's any way around it.

juliehrobak

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2014
I dont have the 6 plus, but I'm using an amCase bumper case that is clear. It's pretty cool for the price. I'm content.

Reviews:Great case. The thickness is perfect. Very lightweight. Good, solid materials. Build quality is great. Seems like it will be durable, with no stretching. Openings align perfectly. Nice grip. This case is a keeper. I highly recommend it.

Excellent case, fits perfectly. I don't have a screen protector yet. So I will see how it fits after. But great case so far!

Amazingly nice case for the price. Remarkably fast delivery. Very much appreciated.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
In the past, I have been using coloured cases but I switched to Spigen Ultra Hybrid with clear back and sides for iPhone 5s. Couldn't be happier because my preference is to see the design of the phone and there is usually less bulk associated with any clear cases.

Again for the dirt accumulation, it depends on what kind of environment the phone is being used.

Generally, if you have the habit of cleaning the screen and the exterior of the case daily or a few times a week, I don't see a substantial amount of dust being trapped between the phone and the case. Putting the phone in a pouch or sleeve would help the dust control as well which I have been doing. YMMV

But in addition to dirt accumulation, there may be some downsides of using clear case depending on the case design. Some involve

1. Scratches and wear on the case are more visible unless the back of the case has some scratch-resistant coating such as some cases from Spigen, Power Support, etc.

2. If the sides of the case is also clear, there is a chance of discolouration. (Yellowing is a non problem for high quality clear case as UV coat is added). Each person has different chemistry. You may see the side of the case becomes yellowish, greenish, etc.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.