'Clear Coat' iPad Protection.

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BergerFan, May 17, 2010.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I have it both on my 3GS, and now my iPad. It's totally awesome. :cool:
    I was going to wait for the Belkin Grip Vue, but this gives all the grip of that, without any bulk.

iPad install.
    ---
    iPhone install.
    (Videos are not mine, but process was the same. The pictures are mine though :D).

The 3GS' macro camera is awesome too. :apple:

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this Invisible Shield, Best Skins Ever, or SGP? You always do a good job, if I recall (I am probably wrong) you did the cellophane wrap around your phone to get the corners good on your phone. I tried that and it certainly did a better job than I could have.

3. orlandocano macrumors regular

Bergerfan, did you install these yourself??? How difficult is it??? Youtube video makes it seem simple...

4. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

yeah, I installed myself. I took my time and basically mimicked the video(sans hairdryer).
    The only difficult bit, is ensuring there's no lint on the device before applying. Lining it up is easy, once you've sprayed the solution, as there's a little give, before you squeegee out.

5. demstav macrumors newbie

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hydrogen and oxygen.

7. xraytech macrumors 68030

Still think Power Support Crystal and Anti-Glare Pwns Invisible Shield.

Try removing an Invisible Shield, clean it then reapply.

8. demstav macrumors newbie

Best solution ever.

9. Souli macrumors member

seeing as you are from UK where did you buy the skins? trying to find those somewhere

10. DKatri macrumors 6502

Looks really nice. How much did it cost? Also, how well does it deal with fingerprints??

11. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

It cost me £31 pounds($34 + $10 shipping), from clear-coat.com.
    It deals with fingerprints excellently. Not quite as good as an anti-glare, but way better than naked.
    There is a slight 'orange peel' effect, but you only see that, when looking at glare shining on the device. You see none of it through the backlight of the screen. The benefit of this, is the greatly improved grip - I no longer feel like it's about to slip out of my grasp, at the every moment.
    Also, the peace of mind the product gives me - I no longer need to worry about what surfaces I put the down device on.

12. DKatri macrumors 6502

Considering this for my inbound iPad, it looks really nice and if it deals with finger prints fairly well then, what more do you want. £31 isnt too bad for a 360 degree protector.

13. ethos84 macrumors member

Yeah, I'm really tempted to get one of these actually.

My local apple reseller has "easi-skins", but I can't find a thing on the internet about them.

£31 isn't too bad. I wonder if this will cope well with being used with a case as well (IE no pealing).

14. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

If your install is half decent, you should have about 1-2 millimetres gap around the edges, so there's no danger of 'peelage'. :D
    It works with my Apple iPad case with zero problems.

15. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I have just ordered one of these as i've been looking for a really good stick on protection.
    Now I just need to find a case!

Jordan

16. Nicolle Casey macrumors newbie

Nicolle Casey

Cleaning iPad with microfiber sleeve

Looks great! How is this working for your iPad? I'm curious how you are cleaning fingerprints or smudge marks.
    I came up with the iShine sleeve idea - it's a microfiber iPad sleeve that protects but can also be a good cleaning cloth. Let me know if you want to try it!

17. ethos84 macrumors member

18. MacTara macrumors newbie

Can they do it for you?

I just got back from the US, where they professionally install the clear coat for you. Is there anywhere in London that can do it for you?