Clear difference??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by realitystops, Jun 21, 2012.

  1. realitystops macrumors regular

    realitystops

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Location:
    Very North
    #1
    This is the first time I have suffered from the dreaded - "don't know" - syndrome.

    Having sold my MacPro I am living with my MBP (2.53 C2D 15") and old ACD until I am sure of my next systems specs...

    However hard I try to get my head round what is and will be available the choices seem interminable confusing.

    My MBP is holding its own and I have no intention of buying new software in the future (retired) so will the 13" MBP on the horizon with 1600 ram and i7 provide a longterm solution or even the 13" MBA maxed?

    Using Aperture and CS5 mostly and will have TB display for editing.

    Big question I know, but a gentle push down the right road would be much appreciated just to reduce the angst.:(

    Much obliged

    Sharkey
     
  2. Murray M macrumors regular

    Murray M

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #2
    You know, if your current MBP is "holding it's own" then why not stick with that and spend the money you were going to spend on a computer into something else, like a new camera, lighting, backup drives if you don't have em, or a website for your images.

    There is no rule that says new is the only way. 5 year old computers even edit video reasonably well (not as fast as current, but get the job done for sure!).
     
  3. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #3
    Are you "permanently" getting off the Mac Pro track and going to laptops only? or are you taking a mulitple year detour onto laptops while you wait out what happens to the Mac Pro?


    Sound like taking the permanent road change.

    Coming from Mac Pro it seems likely you'll be happier on the MBP 13" versus the MBA maxed. One you can "max" the MBP 13" alot more cost effectively with 3rd party components. If you intend to stick with "old" software a DVD drive can come in handy.

    While not intending to buy new software that will happen over time. Apple will move the OS ( and security fixes) forward over time. Eventually, will need to move to newer software.


    If eventually intending on looping back to the Mac Pro then a regular mini DisplayPort monitor will work at the end of a Thunderbolt chain (***). There is no guarantee that the Mac Pro will pick up Thunderbolt in next iteration or two.
    There is decent change but now guarantee. There are more (and often better ) options with non Apple displays. If you need a different mix of ports for you docking station there will other "display less" docking stations on the market to pair to the Mac laptop. A small docking station is vastly more portable than the TB Display, so you can possibly take those 'extra" ports on the road with you when mobile if necessary.


    (***) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4885
    and http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/16/apple-thunderbolt-display-with-multiple-monitors/
     
  4. ppone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2011
    #4
    Why not just go on a vacation to Bora Bora. If you have no complaints of your current hardware, then spend the extra money on some experiences.



     
  5. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2009
    #5
    Not really being responsible. A C2D 2.53 15" MBP very likely means this is a 2009 MBP. Even if had AppleCare it is likely about to expire soon. It may be OK to keep running without a new system, but now in the "self insurance" mode. If there is a major blow-out on this 2009 MBP model it probably would make most sense to just buy new one. Blowing the whole budget on bora bora just increases the risk factors higher as there is 'fund' backing the self insurance.

    Also, it doesn't have Thunderbolt and pretty sure doesn't have ExpressCard, so the expansion is limited. If this is the long term replacement for the Mac Pro then Thunderbolt would be highly useful option even if not mobile much. For example, larger but fast external storage, additional sockets (to match back up to what lost with Mac Pro) , etc. If next step is a TB display/dock then would need a TB capable Mac. A MBP 2009 model isn't going to drive that.

    So it isn't just a swapping 13" for 15" trade. It is really a " trading in my Mac Pro and MBP 15 for what ?" type of question. Or at least it reads that .
     
  6. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

    bpd115

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2003
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    #6
    How important is mobility? That MBP is the late 2008 unibody model right? An iMac will blow that thing out of the water. Even a mini. Whatever you get though make sure it has an SSD.
     
  7. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #7
    That is basically true. Past a certain point given the cost of repairs, it quickly becomes no longer worth repairing especially if downtime is a factor.


    I'd say the 13" mbp should be the absolute minimum. Overall I'd say that a system with two thunderbolt ports would be better here, although I typically avoid first generation stuff. If he's going the self insured route and thinks it's okay to push it to next year or go with the rmbp, either could be a good option. I'm just not big on untested designs. If this was me, I'd want the dual ports for display and data on separate ports and I'd go for an NEC display instead of the Apple. NEC isn't perfect, but I've had better overall results from them than Apple.
     
  8. realitystops thread starter macrumors regular

    realitystops

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2007
    Location:
    Very North
    #8
    Thank You

    I really did not expect such a large and varied response - see title.

    There will be no return to MacPro - multiple streams of images and custom apps. no longer in use.

    Portability is a goal and maintaining my ability to use CS5/AP efficiently the other.

    External storage desktop and mobile already in place TB & eSATA

    So really it is the heart of the setup that is in question

    My leanings at the moment are towards

    Next 13" MBP (4core,retina,2core who knows) plus TBD if better no reflective - keep 23" ACD until it is.

    Other thoughts welcome.

    Thank you again
     

Share This Page